Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people have sleeping problems who have IBS, and I am one of those peoples. The sleeping problems occurs randomly where I can't sleep or get very little. When I am able to sleep a good 7-9 hours a night, I still feel very tired the next day. Has anyone else come across this and know why? Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have this all the time. Usually I cant fall asleep, or have a hard time and when I do I dont stay asleep and this makes me not want to get up.Elavil helped a bit at first, but only for a while each time the dose went up. I will keep taking it for everything else, but hopefully I can find something else for the sleep issues. I hear melatonin is good, but we'll have to see.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I took that a while back, but I didn't really pay attention to my sleeping then. My G.I. doctor wants me to go to a psychiatrist to prescribe me anxiety medication.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi~
I also have sleep problems... not able to fall asleep, waking in the middle of the night and then can't fall back to sleep... NOT fun!... I really don't know why... I'm not sure it's caused by IBS, 'cause I've always been this way, long before ibs hit me, just very excited about things around me in general and then my mind continues to race even when my body really wants to stop and rest. And IBS certainly adds to the anxiety/depression part big time...I've found Mike's insomnia CD very helpful. And some herbs such as Reishi mushroom, red date, and valerane (sp?) roots are helpful, too... Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Speaking of sleeping problems, does anyone find themselves getting up in the middle of the night to pee, then when going back to bed, feeling nauseous? For the past few weeks, when I go back to bed from taking a mid-night pee, I feel like I'm going to vomit.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Perovskite, sorry you've been feeling like this
... hmm... i don't know... my problem is my tummy usually wakes me up waaaay too early than i would like to in the morning (sometimes even at around 5:00) and then it starts to get more and more painful and even on days when it's not that painful i just get really anxious and then i can't fall back to sleep anymore... I guess the best strategy is to go to bed early (easier said than done) and not to drink anything an hour or more before bed...

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
AllstrZ, you might want to get yourself tested for sleep apnea. (Has anyone eveer mentioned your snoring?) I had both IBS-D and apnea and was generally so tired that I would fight falling asleep behind the wheel on a daily basis. I have stopped that problem for many years with both vitamin therapy and a CPAP machine.Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
quote:Originally posted by AllStrZ:Does anyone get a lot of sleep, but still feel tired when they wakeup?
Dear AllStrzYes, I used to. I had severe symptoms of IBS and had to cope with my job in the daytime. As a result, I was totally exhausted day after day. Rest at weekend had never been enough for me. And the fatigue continued to the following week. Same pattern week afer week,until I finally felt it was impossible to continue working.My solution to that? Quiting my job and stay unemployed. I have been unemployed for 16 months now. Now I do not feel tired anymore. Although I still have symptoms of IBS, they are milder now. I do not recommend to anyone to quit their jobs, but if you have tried all sorts of medication and treatments but still unwell, then taking a long rest from your job and your obligations could be a solution. Provided, of course, you have enough savings to support yourself and your family for some time (e.g. at least 2 years). AllStrz, try out medications and everything under the sun. If they don't work, then you need to make up your decision to take the next course of action. Hope you will be well soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your probably not getting enough "quality sleep"AllstrZ. The vivid dream stage or REM part of slep is not as benifical as the deeper level. Im no expert but I too often feel real tired after getting 7 or 8 hrs. I was on sleeping pills for a fortnight and boy did i feel good. Unfortunatley the Doc would only presribe them short term as we all know they are addictive.relaxaaton tapes are good. though finding one who's voice dosent irrate me was a problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Allstarz, thank you so much for creating this discussion! I have the same exact problem. I cannot get quality sleep. It takes me a very long time to sleep because my brain is on constant over-drive, and I have to wake up early everyday to give myself adequate time for the bathroom. I have 8am classes, so I end up getting maybe like three hours of sleep. I'm so exhausted all the time. Even when I do sleep (7 or 8 hours), I still feel very tired. I feel like, although I've slept, I really haven't... as if my brain were still awake. I had insomnia before I had IBS, but it has aggrevated a hundred times since. It's taking a big toll on my memory, and on me overall. It's hard to be excited and have fun, or even smile sometimes when you're tired and constipated and gasy. Last summer, I taught myself how to sleep. I just kept telling myself that whatever I was thinking was stupid and silly. It took three months for the thinking to sink in, but it worked wonders. It was great for a whole semester. But now I'm super stressed, and I'm back to square 1. So, basically, the treatment is to control our brain, which is super hard to do, but it is the only medication that helps and has no side effects.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I too sometimes i have sleep issues. For a loong time i just was on a very bad schedule and it was hard for my body to just fall alseep. for a yr my ibs caused me to stay home, so basically when you have nothing to do, you stay up later, wake up later, nap during the day. but now that im busy, and working again, i wake up earlier, im busy during the day and am tired by the end up the night. i also dont have anything with caffeine and try to stay away from sugar. i do sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to pee, but ive always done that, but i never have a problem falling back to sleep.alot of the issues with trying to fall asleep is just having a lot on the mind. you need to try to clear your head. maybe if you have alot on your mind, you should write it down, get it out of you. it might make you feeling better. making a breathing exercise to relax the body and relax the mind.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have the same sleep issues. When I do sleep I have very vivid dreams -sometimes during the day I question myself whether I'm remembering something that actually happened or just recalling a dream.Anyone else experience this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.