Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that slippery elm bark was great at relieving symptomes of ibs, I have tried it, I used the amount that I was supposed to according to the instructions on the bottle and my ears after the second day started to buzz very loudly, I stopped taking it and my ears returned to normal the next day. What a freaky experience that was!! Anybody get relief from slippery elm and if not what was your experience?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Jo-jo, many of the psychmeds will also cause temporary tinnitus that disappears when you stop taking the med. There was a herbal mixture named Essiac which has SEbark and three other herbs. It is still touted as a cure for cancer by some fairly reputable people?? It is also supposed to be a great tonic that you make by brewing the herbs in hot water to reduce cholesterol, control many bad conditions,especially intestinal disorders. Did nothing for me. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
Jo-jo, many of the psychmeds will also cause temporary tinnitus that disappears when you stop taking the med. There was a herbal mixture named Essiac which has SEbark and three other herbs. It is still touted as a cure for cancer by some fairly reputable people?? It is also supposed to be a great tonic that you make by brewing the herbs in hot water to reduce cholesterol, control many bad conditions,especially intestinal disorders. Did nothing for me. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have used Slippery Elm as an ingredient in some teas I've tried (usually for C) and it's also in the powdered herb&fiber mixture I use. I haven't noticed any problems with it. It's supposed to have a mild laxative effect and is also supposed to help with ulcer-type symptoms along with a form of licorice.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have used Slippery Elm as an ingredient in some teas I've tried (usually for C) and it's also in the powdered herb&fiber mixture I use. I haven't noticed any problems with it. It's supposed to have a mild laxative effect and is also supposed to help with ulcer-type symptoms along with a form of licorice.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Couldn't find anything specifically on Slipperelm and tinnitis (ringing/buzzing in the ears) but I know a wide variety of compound can cause that.The most common is asprin (which is a compound from willow bark that has been slightly chemically modified to make it easier on the stomach).K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Couldn't find anything specifically on Slipperelm and tinnitis (ringing/buzzing in the ears) but I know a wide variety of compound can cause that.The most common is asprin (which is a compound from willow bark that has been slightly chemically modified to make it easier on the stomach).K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
I took Slippery Elm Tea, years ago when I was eating a Macrobiotic Diet along with a friend. He was taking it for inhalent allergies. I had no GI problems or tinnitis.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

G

·
I took Slippery Elm Tea, years ago when I was eating a Macrobiotic Diet along with a friend. He was taking it for inhalent allergies. I had no GI problems or tinnitis.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !Although I am a nurse, nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice, its only personal experience. See your own doctor for any medical questions & answers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.