Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a couple of people recommend Slippery Elm in these forums for a 'soothing' effect. Including for IBS-D.It is a demulcent, and I know of it as cough drops.But when I looked on a bottle I saw in my local organic food shop, it would seem to be used as a laxative. So I could see it used for constipation, but I wouldn't think :) that would be 'soothing' in IBS-D. :) Can anyone explain any mechanisms or point me at any articles?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi AO! I took slippery elm for almost a year, I really only stopped when I started Mike's CD's. I researched it quite a bit, simply googling it. From what I read it does help to soothe the intestines. Smaller amounts help with constipation helping it through and larger amounts stop the diarreah. I think it puts a mucousy lining along the digestive tract while also bulking up stools, much like a fibre supplement does, only it's not fibre. I loved it, well except for the taste that was. I tried taking tablets of it but they did nothing and so I went on with the powder mixed with water (choke, blech, but it helped!). Hope this helps, are you thinking of trying it?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting, Amy! Seems like that would be backwards--taking more for D, less for C--but like the fiber, I suppose it could work.I took the tablets for C when I was alternating more, and more inert due to not being able to move about as much. The tablets worked like a charm for that! I was just curious about the use of it for D.thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
No worries, I'm sure someone will have some more technical information for you on why. When I was having daily D though it seemed to be the only thing that helped to stop the onslaught and helped a little with the pain. Wasn't a cure all for me though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.