Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my second episode with a small bowel Pseudo?-obstruction a few weeks ago; took two ambulances and 3 Paramedics to get my smallish 65kg frame stretchered out of my upstairs house. After a week of progressively worsening back pain and a rare 2kg weight gain, I rolled on to the lounge room floor one morning to crawl off to thetoilet and that's as far as I got. I had to wait for the paramedics to arrive to drag me away from the couch where I was wedged. Anyhow after 15plusx-rays, various suppositories, a Barium meal and a heap more pain, the only answer I've come up with is 'Colonic Pseudo-Obstruction'(Adynamic ileus?), all I ended up with was flatus.Does anyone else suspect that they might suffer from a failure of peristalsis? possibly because of dysbiosis? This was definitely not constipation, I'm not even sure how that goes!Cheers. Tony

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you on this one but I'll give you a bump so maybe someone else will see this and respond for you.Jleigh

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Psuedo obstruction is something different from IBS, so I don't know if this is the best place to find people who had what you had.Basically it is just like what would happen if you had something actually obstructing the bowel (usually stool that is really and completely stuck) but there is no obstructing thing (hence the pseudo...or false).Other than that I don't have much I can tell you about it. It isn't something that is a feature of IBS.Here is the NIH's website http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/sum...ud/intpseud.htm K.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Does anyone else suspect that they might suffer from a failure of peristalsis?
There should probably be dilated loops of small bowel on x-ray? Have you had transit time scintigraphy or any manometry?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi, tony, I meant to post to this a while ago and forgot. How are you doing now? What has your doctor said about the psuedo obstruction thingy? How does it relate, if at all, to your IBS?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I don't know where ya'll find the time to respond to all this stuff. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had bothered to read my question. One point I didn't mention was that my pain had nothing to do with abdominal fullness but I suspect more to do with a pressure or irritation of a particular loop, or an adhesion to nervous tissue in the region of L3. If my Peritoneum is my defence against the likelihood of such a localised event contributing further to injury of adjacent organs then clearly my Peritoneum is much like the rest of me; very sadly lacking in protective fat stores and hence, unable to provide much mechanical support.Jleigh, thanks for the bump; now, FINALLY, I know what a 'bump' means!kmottus; no I hadn't been to http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/sum...ud/intpseud.htm but I do recognise some of those factsheets; very helpful to see them all posted on one website.And flux! >"There should probably be dilated loops of small bowel on x-ray?"My "dilated loops of small bowel" were the only notable feature on my initial x-rays; and subsequent barium meal x-rays were "unremarkable". In other words, my obstruction was undoubtedly a Pseudo, and most likely just the result of ongoing bacterial overgrowth, gastroparesis the end result. My post-trauma bolus transit time was less than two hours (mouth to large bowel) so I have to assume gastroparesis had a lot to do with my inability to detect peristalsis originally. Why the pain was so severe around my spinal cord, in the absence of previous spinal injury or degeneration, I don't know. I'm still trying to work through the negatives. 4 weeks on I still feel localised pain at L2/L3.Marriah, I didn't bother running any of this stuff past the Dr. I prefer to find my own answers first, I get more practical assistance that way when I finally confront a more qualified person. Drs. are always much more helpful when presented with the jigsaw almost complete.Cheers. Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts