Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a small victory today. My gastroenterologist has agreed to do a pelvic and abdominal CT scan on Friday. Finally. Gosh, I guess being in pain for 5 months gets you places (insert sarcasm here). They're telling me that there is some sort of prep thing to do before this? Did anyone else have to do a prep before a pelvic/abdominal CT scan?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't think I've had one of these unless it's called something else over here but congratulations on finally getting somewhere with the medical profession! Yay! Good luck with the test and let us know how you go.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Screamer. I can't believe he's finally going to do something. Yay!!! Of course I'll have to wait until after the weekend to get my results which will probably kill me.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically the result that I am looking for is confirmation that my gall bladder is fine (because when I look up gall stones, I seem to have many of the symptoms) and that my appendix is fine, that I have no endometriosis in there, those types of things. Maybe it will lead my doc in the correct direction because I feel that he has not taken enough time to adequately address some of my concerns. Maybe this will also convince him to do a colonoscopy so that I can feel confident that it's just IBS and not something more harmful (i.e. some type of ulcerative disease, polyps, something like that). I feel that he needs to dig a little deeper because I was adopted and have no family history, so I can't tell him if there's a history of colon cancer, celiac disease, or other digestive problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The price of reassurance. It's a shame docs dont give it more often, IT'S FREE! I do wonder the motives a person has to become a doctor. What's needed is the personality of nurses swaping with docs. Bottom line, need more women docs...or gay ones.I went on a course once and a guy there had an apendix story. I won't tell it. Let's just say neglegance. Also have a heart and cancer one, they weren't as lucky. Docs just put it down to one of those things. Can't spot everything. They don't pay for the mistake though do they. It's not a car they're dealing with. 'venting' You may gether I don't trust them as far as I can flick 'em.What the hell does the gallbladder do anyway. ok, i'll look it up.P.S. If ya relatively young, genetic problems shouldn't really kick in now. Plus it has to start with someone first. Kidney and gallbladder stones as a rule take years to form.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply UK. You're right we need doctors to switch attitudes with nurses most of the time. This test should have been done 3 months ago. I'd be so much more worry free, it's amazing. I don't trust many doctors as far as I can throw an elephant (which isn't very far, I promise). More gay docs, I'll vote for that. Gallbladder stores bile and helps control the flow into the intestines or something like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
quote: Did anyone else have to do a prep before a pelvic/abdominal CT scan?
It's been about 7 years ago now, but when I had an abdominal CT they needed me to drink this stuff so they could see things on it.... Unfortunately, I was totally unable to drink that stuff... so they ended up giving me an enema during the CT in order to do it (boy did that suck)oh, and the stuff to drink wasn't bad, I was just pretty sick at the time.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh goody, which means I'll probably end up with the same thing. I can do anything that taste mediciny at all. Barium swallow. Forget it. Oi vey. Oh well, I'll figure it out, it'll get done and I'll get answers. It'll be good. I will let you all know how it goes when I know anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh my, no don't panic! It looked like water... it tasted... remarkably not much like anything!I ended up having my appendix out back then... the problem was that I was vommitting too much for it too work!I am one of those people too, generally I am terrible with drinking or eating anything I don't like. So, I wouldn't lie to you

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I remember having a barium swallow test when I was in grade 4. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't swallow the barium. I'm so scared that I won't be able to drink it. I'll have to have a bucket handy because I'm pretty sure I'll vomit it back up. God help me. Please.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had to clean myself out before my flex sig. That was an experience. I thought I had an urgent need to go before, that was nuts. I think I had to do suppository & drink something. All I remember is I just stayed in the bathroom that night for at least an hour just laying on the floor. & getting up every few minutes to go again.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd so much rather sit on the toilet with diarrhea than have to drink something like the barium (I know, most people dread the diarrhea, but to me having to drink any medication is worse than being put on the rack and be tortured). I get nauseous just thinking about having to drink that stuff tomorrow. I think I'd even rather have the enema. Please. I've had needles stuck in my shoulder with no anesthetic and that still rates as more enjoyable. I'm a hockey player, we're not supposed to be scared of anything. We're big, we're tough. We eat pucks for lunch. I've had CT scans before for my head, my shoulder, etc. It's not the scan that scares me. I remember that horrible experience with the x-ray tech yelling at me because I couldn't drink the barium, then the nurses ganged up on me, then they had my parents try to bribe me. I finally just had to say I can't do it. I was bawling my eyes out and almost hyperventilating. I'm so scared that's all going to happen again. I'm so scared I just want to cry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey there,As of today, I just found out that i have to have a ct scan as well and another test that i have never heard of to see if my gallbladder is functioning..which i don't think it is. I am hoping that I don't have to swallow anything, i agree the barium swallow was awfun! Take care...I know what it feels like to finally have a doc that is doing testing!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good luck on your tests Andrea. I hope they go well. Mine, well, we'll see what happens, whether or not they have to do it all over again. I don't know if there was enough barium in my system to get a good clean picture. Yeah, good tasting stuff my foot. The flavors are awful. Orange Vanilla and Berry, they're gross.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good luck on the results, honugirl. Yep, the barium is horrible. At least you got it down
I had to have an upper GI about 6 months ago and the test they did was called a "barium swallow." I had to drink a ton of the stuff. Yuck!
Anyway, hope you get the results you're looking for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ew, I must not have had the same thing at all then... or I blocked it out or something. I am sorry for misinformation
Maybe the contrast used was different, and I don't recall flavor options.feel free to thwap me about the head a few times. In the mean time, I hope the results come back clear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts