Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 29 year old female who gets really bad smelly gas. I dont know what to do to stop it. I try to watch what i eat but it is so random. This past week i was very ill wil a viral infection and really did not eat much of anything. All week long i had the worst gas. I have to go to work tomorrow and i still have it.Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of smelly gas? Also has anyone tried beano?Thnak you

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about taking two scoops of Citrucel every day. The gas is probably being caused by food fermenting in the colon. So you need to take fibre to inorder to have regular bowel movement. Inaddition citrucel does not produce extra gass.I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Generally, the odor is produced by three chemicals...hydrogen sulfidemethanethioldimethyl sulfoxideThese are produced by particular bacteria digesting proteins that contain sulfur.It's normal to have this. However, there is a variation in volume so it's certain possible for it to be abnormal.Pepto-bismol binds to sulfur and thus help prevent the formation of these compounds.The filter advertised: http://www.flatulence-filter.com/ has also shown to be effective in some persons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get smelly gas only occasionally and only for a couple of hours, but when I do it STINKS! I'd like to have pity on my husband and do something about it....How should I take the pepto bismol tablets and how fast should I expect it to kick in? I know bonniei said I can take up to 8 per day. I'd like to take as few as possible. How many should I have in 1 sitting and how many more should I take (and when) if I'm not seeing results?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I too would like to know how long it would take for Pepto bismol to work but nobody answers the question. Does it take an hour, 24 hours and what is bismuth toxicity. I asked these questions before but nobody answers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading all your letters about gas makes me feel I am at least not the only one suffering. I am so bad that I dont go out, visit any one or even go to the shops.I am constantly bloated,sore and windy(smelly). I am also a Coeliac and my Dr has told me to stay off dairy products. My diet is pretty boring. You mentioned Pepto Bismol, does anyone know if this is available in Australia?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi. Bismuth usually takes a day to kick in. You can play around with the dosage so you take the minimum amount to do the trick best. You can take it indefinately but you should request test after a few months on it to be run on bimuth levels (a urine test). It shouldn't make constipation worse as it is designed for travel bugs. In Australia you may have to get what I get in N.Z: De-Nol. Not quite the same but better than getting it shipped off the internet. It really works!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Pepto didn't help me, I couldn't take enuf of it to help. Besides it gives me C. Still looking for an answer.I am like Deny, so smelly that I dread having to go out.When I do, I imagine that I am someone else, that way I can handle the rejections that are sure to come my way.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Is it me or are there more females with a gas problem?I read that IBS affects more women than men, but doctors think that women come to see them about their gut problems more than men.I had the notion that girls generally don't pass gas. In a classroom or public area, I would suspect a guy than a lady. I guess growing up males would joke about their fart experiences...My smelly gas has greatly subsided after after acupuncture/herbal treatment. I'm not sure if that was circumstantial, but that's the only thing I can think of that helped. I also took Beano for black beans, ketchup, and recently foods with minor bits of onions. It seemed to help, but I never tested it without the Beano. Now I take the Walgreens version of Beano.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I am really sorry, I forget to check the threads I post to. Flower girl is right- you take the minimum dosage you need, follow the instructions on the pepto bismol tablets package to space them apart..

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
quote: I had the notion that girls generally don't pass gas. In a classroom or public area, I would suspect a guy than a lady. I guess growing up males would joke about their fart experiences...
skinny the one who has the most gas farts the most.
I wish I had control over where I pass gas but I don't.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Interesting about more girls with this prob than guys. I definately get worse round certain times of the month. I would have to say that I'm very hormonal too. Since I have started taking the contraceptive pill to regulate my cycle I have become much more grumpy, depressed and sick and gassy. My friends also get diarrhea (and they don't have ibs) at that time of the month. My gastro guy says that the smooth muscles are very alike and that brain chemicals can affect both areas (hormones). I don't know if he has any evidence to back that up though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I first started experiencing symptoms of IBS, I went on the internet and started scoping out what this could possibly be. I stumbled across a page that described something that was similar to diabetes because it did not allow for one to digest fats.. Because my symptoms were similar, I thought I might have that disorder, so I cut out fats almost completely. Later I was diagnosed as having IBS, yet continued to cut the fat out of my diet as completely as possible in efforts to find a solution to this problem through trial and error.I lost about ten to eleven pounds (my weight often fluxuates from day to day), and I had way less problems with the gas problems, although those problems are still bad. I continue with the low-fat regimen and make sure to excersise almost daily. I found that fat or(even other types of food)intake often skewers the results of my day significantly. On days where I eat a lot of fatty foods (i.e. ice cream, potato chips)or sugary foods I have terrible gas. Interestingly enough, if you allow sugar to sit around, and you don't work it off, it turns to fat. What does that say about fat affecting IBSers?Don't forget that some fruits and vegetables cause gas too. I CANNOT eat garlic for the life of me, or onions for that matter. Also dairy products do me in. Cheese and whatnot. I also excercise often because I find that if you burn off the majority of what you eat, you have less problems with gas. Also, again relating to the fat thing, I've found that the gas problem is worse if I don't eat when I'm hungry. I beleive that this is because my body is feeding off of the fats stored in my body (which is one of the things that happens in the early stages of starving yourself)and I think that's what does it; your body is eating pure fats instead of something with substance. I was basically starving myself for awhile, trying to do anything to make the gas problems stop. However, I found that not eating anything is just as harmfull to the gas problem as eating things that you know will cause problems.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Athena, I read somewhere once that when you don't eat and allow yourself to get hungry your body starts to pull in more air or something which would explain the gas. It made sense when I read it but again, there is no evidence of this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.