Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SMOKING IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF POST-INFECTIOUS IRRITABLE BOWEL SYDROME S.D. Parry, J.R. Barton, M.R. Welfare. University of Newcastle, Faculty of Medicine, North Tyneside Hospital, Rake Lane, North Shields NE29 8NH, UK Introduction: Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be triggered by psychological stress, alterations in gut motor function and/or visceral perception. Previous studies suggest 4-32% of people develop IBS after bacterial gastroenteritis but the exact mechanisms underlying post-infectious IBS are not clear. Aim: To look into the role of possible causative factors in the development of post-infectious functional gastrointestinal disorders, namely IBS, functional dyspepsia, or functional diarrhoea. Methods: A prospective cohort study. There were 1 28 subjects without a prior FGID under study and with recent stool positive bacterial gastroenteritis who consented to participate. The presence or not of IBS, functional dyspepsia or functional diarrhoea was diagnosed at the start and on follow up at 6 months using self-complete Rome II modular questionnaires. Data on demographics, social class, infecting organism, smoking and alcohol use, anxiety, depression (via Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale) and life events and impact (via Life Events Survey) were collected at the start of the study. Results: One hundred and seven Rome II questionnaires were returned at follow up. Twenty-five subjects developed a FGID, 16 who had symptoms consistent with IBS. Of the factors mentioned, only smoking was significantly associated with the development of a post-infectious FGID (odds ratio 4.1; Cl 1.4 to 11.6). The odds ratio of a smoker developing post-infectious IBS was 3.6 (Cl 1.12 to 11.60). The odds ratios of a smoker developing functional diarrhoea or functional dyspepsia were not statistically significant. Conclusion: Post-infectious IBS appears to be associated with smoking and we did not find evidence of association with life events, anxiety, or depression. Smoking is known to moderate gut immunity in other disorders such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Our study adds to increasing evidence for an organic basis to post-infectious IBS, perhaps moderated via inflammatory pathways.Gut, April 2003 v52 i4 pA84(4)

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
First of I have heard of this for sure. Although I bet more studies would be needed to confirm it and I can see some possible flaws.Wording is important also, an "association" which is interesting.If I read this right these people had Bacterial gastroenteritis, that then developed into IBS? That is consistent and they have newer evidence that viruses may lead to it also as well now.Maybe this is another thing that pushes it over the edge so to speak for smokers.Of course many people get IBS who don't smoke.Interesting though.Thanks for posting it.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote: can see some possible flaws.Wording is important also, an "association" which is interesting.If I read this right these people had Bacterial gastroenteritis, that then developed into IBS? That is consistent and they have newer evidence that viruses may lead to it also as well now.
What flaws?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
i had smoke when i had my first attack.It increasepeeing but sometimes it help to releive trapped gas or help to go.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I was probably exposed to high choloform when "camping" on open rangeland and drinking groundwater 30 years ago. At the time, bowel function became a little more immediate and stools a little softer. Leaving that area relieved the symptoms over time. 15 years later I lit my morning cigarette and off to the toilet. (Did that twice more that morning...slow learner.) I may be a classic case of this.Mark

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
i think smoking create a vulnearable environnement for the microscopic colitis or ibs.Low bowel ibs is influence by the bladder and smoking increase the peeing.It may all be related.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spasman, I think by low bowel you mean the rectum and not the large intestine. Secondly , you might want to use a more scientific word like urinating. Just trying to help you out with your English. I am a 22-year smoker with some periods of abstebntion.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
low bowel = low belly

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.