Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

SMOKING - Questions

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mainjulie1962@hotmail.com 
Hi Chris,it is NEVER too late to quit smoking. You start benefitting from quitting within an hour of your last cigarette! So get some gum or patches and stick to it. Also, if you know someone else who is smoking and quit with that person, it will help you stay on track, or look for a quitting smoking support group (do they have AA for smokers?).I had pain in a similar place on my right side. I have IBS-C, and my doc said that it's because the contents of my digestive system are not soft enough, so it's hard for them to turn the corners. I actually had a bump there along with the pain so I thougth I had a hernia! So I'm a bit of a hypochondriac too. But, katieandtink is right, there are tons of reasons that IBSers have pain in the abdominal area.I don't think you have cancer. Keep seeing your therapist, and try exercise, meditation, antidepressants, journal-writing, cognitive therapy, anything and everything, to make you feel better. IBS is often caused by stress, so if you make the mind feel better first, the gut will likely follow. And if you're into self-help books, I recommend reading Worry, by Edward Hallowell. It helped me a lot when I was suffering from stress/depression earlier this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.