Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OkaySo I talked w/ a therapist earlier today because I've been really down in the dumps about my IBS gas pains. I think my pains are from cancer or something terminal and then I get really depressed and think it's too late so I'll just commit suicide. Remind you, this is on a really bad bad day and I don't get this bad too often.I sometimes torture myself my reading about young people in there thirties that have died from lung cancer. This sends me over the edge. I begin to think that maybe my IBS is really cancer in disguise.Anyway, the therapist thinks that if I quit smoking some of my anxiety will dissepate (sp). I told her I'm 30 years old, been smoking since 15 and the cancer has probably already got me.So, I also told her about this site and she recommended that I ask people some questions about how I'm feeling related to smoking.So here I goa.) Do you think it's too late for me to quit smoking? b.) If you used to smoke and quit, how did you quit and at what age?c.) Do you think the pain I get on my right and left sides below my ribcage (in stomach area) is really part of my IBS and not cancer?d.) any other advice?So, I'm doing the assignment this therapist wants me to do. I hope she is a good one. I can't handle anymore of this anxiety and depression.Thanks all.Chris

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gosh, Thanks so much guys. You put a nice perspective on things. I did go out tonight and I bought the patch and I also got a good book to read.You are all right. Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy day to answer my worried questions. It means a lot to me.PS - I actually met a lady tonight who has been in colon cancer recovery for about 1 year now. She said she never worried about dying/death when she had colon cancer she only worried about her children's needs. I told her about myself and that's when she opened up to me. She really put things into perspective for me. Her husband is a research doctor and she told me instead of worrying about disease I should be worrying about my kids' needs.Then I came on here, read all the messages and decided to go to the store.Thanks all,Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.