Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,773 Posts
I smoked for 30 years, up to a couple of packs a day. They were the first cause of my diarrhea and probably much of my long time digestive problems. I quit at the age of 48. If I have cancer, it hasn't shown up yet. Obviously it is not too late for you. You actually are more likely to get heart disease from this. Most of that can be reversed through diet and exercise. The rest I have taken care of with supplementation. (By the way, since my IBS has been treated successfully for years with one of those heart supplements, and since it is keyed to cigarette smoking, it might work as well for you.)I did it by tapering down to about 3-5 a day over about 5 years. Quit every weekend. When I finally drove the nail into the coffin nails there was very little addiction left. In the face of all of my stomach/digestive problems, I couldn't convince myself to attack it any quicker. Stupid me.Stomach pain below ribcage is definitely IBS. Even with the D and GERD long gone, I will still get those twinges on the left hand side from time to time. You don't have cancer, just gas. You are stuck with IBS and your psyche trying to convince you to keep smoking.Try yoga or meditation or exercise. You need to do something to lower your self-imposed stressors. (There was an article from the Wall Street Journal that suggested 1/2 hour of cardio/aerobic exercise a day for 6 days a week will lower depression along with obvious help for blood pressure, heart and lungs, weight, etc.)Give yourself a break, Chris. Stop smoking, take care of your diet and exercise, and try some different approaches to your IBS. You have a long way to go. You might as well enjoy it.Mark

· Registered
5,773 Posts
Arizona, if there was ever an award for this, I would like to nominate you. To be able to smoke 100 cigs a day is amazing...to be able to quit one day is beyond normal stock of adjectives. Congratulations. You should teach the class.Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.