Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a tv doctor show tuesday night the doctor prescribed 3 cigarettes a day for a man who was having inflamed bowel movements...this sounds an awful lot like ibs...i started smoking at 13...quit at 49 and got ibs a year later...funny...any comments would be welcome

·
Registered
686 Posts
michael well done at finally stopping this nasty habit (im a smoker)
god you were certainly young when you started.i stopped smoking for nearly 8 years and it was not much of a prob, however when my marriage ended 4 years ago i started smoking again
i do however plan to quit FOR GOOD! in the new year, did it once and i can do it again.imagine a doc prescribing anyone ciggies (completely puzzled)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
My problems were absolutely hooked to cigarettes. After 25 years of smoking, I lit one and headed for the toilet. Did that three times that morning before I was absolutely convinced it was causing me diarrhea. Took me another 5 years to completely wean myself of the; but the digestive issues continued unabated.The first rule of the Hypocratic Oath, I believe, is to do no harm. The doctor should be retired.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I smoke one every day to 'get things going' and then, that's it, I don't smoke again until the next morning. I chew 1 or 2 pieces of nicorette but giving that up isn't any big deal. I wish my doctor would tell me that this one a day ciggie isn't going to hurt me but I don't think he'd agree. But I love that one cig---I really am worried about visiting my family next week cause nobody knows I smoke!

·
Registered
686 Posts
i was all set to quit in the new year but so far i have not
i am trying to lose weight and i dont think it will be good for me trying to cut out everything i
being on different meds has made my weight shoot up, im not too much over weight (about one stone) apparantly for my height i should be around 8 stoneish. I still have my nicotine patches so i will get round to stopping, thing is i DO want to stop and i will do it, you need to want to stop before you can

·
Registered
182 Posts
My smoking is completely to do with my ibs, it takes me long enough to have my endless toilet procedures as it is. Every morning I promise myself I wont smoke and will just let things happen or not but the gut pain and discomfort gets so intense that I give in, not that this solves the problems, I just reckon I'd never get get out the house otherwise. Problem is now I can't let go without one, wish I'd never staretd it, I can stop myself smoking in any other situation (although I used to smoke in the usual traps like the pub). Very admiring of those of you who ahve kicked it, was going to try smoke away but it contains senna which I'm scared of as even though i can't go properly when I do it's mush and can be D

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
It is real,smoking may hurt the bowel in some way.But when i want to release a BM(especially in the morning),sometimes it works.But now i think my bowel is addict,i just can't stop without bangning my head against the wall.
Maybe i will try the nicorett gum,the patch still in my closet.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I smoke.. have for years (maybe 15..). Used to smoke over a pack a day, tried to quit.. did for a while, then started again. I smoke about half a pack a day.I will admit that on mornings that I don't have to go, if I have that first one after my shower and shave (missing the first "s"! LOL!) a lot of the time that first one helps get things moving. I know many more people that drink coffee for the same reason.. to get them moving.I know my IBS is mainly related to my brain. My mom has never smoked nor drank in her life, but she has IBS worse than me.. now she's on meds (prozack or something like that) and she says it's helped her tremendously.When I went to the Dr. and he diagnosed me with IBS (and then I proceeded to teach him about it, and sort of explain I was sick of hearing it, as I feel it's a "copout" answer from a Dr.) he asked me this:"Do you want to treat it meantally or physically?"I said "both..."He said "well, we'll treat it at a physical level, and once that's better, it should help the mental aspect of it."After working with him and my GI doc, I can say that helping the physical definatly helped the mental, but the first thing I still do when going into an unfamiliar building is look for the loo (just in case). But, I'm working hard at breaking that habit.Also, both doctors I worked with didn't seem concerned about me smoking a half a pack a day. My dentist was actually more concerned..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.