Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a smoker for about 3 or 4 years now, does anyone know if this can make IBS symptoms worse? I have IBS-D and I know that cigarettes have a laxative in them, so I try and not smoke in the morning when I'm prone to having an episode. Does anyone else smoke? Does this affect ur IBS?
Lindsay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! I have been smoking for 5 years now and i do not think that it triggers my ibs. actually I would like to quit so much. I have tried so many times with different results but always come back. It halps to calm down for me. I even think that when I quit my ibs gets worse, but mabye it is connected with the general reaction for quiting nicotine, my body just got used to it and when it does not get some it gets crazy. well I am gonna try to quit, but not this week. i have got my final exam at university on next Tuesday, so I can not now, I am too nervous and excited. i know some people say smoking triggers their ibs , I just guess it is individual matter for everybody. take care! aga

·
Registered
104 Posts
i am battleing with quiting for good. i have been smoking for 6 years. I also have gerd and its horrible at bring on acid attacks for me. I only smoke when i am stressed right now so im on my way to quiting. but i havent noticed it affecting my ibs

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi all,I suffer with IBS-C and I been smoking for 5 years, but have to admit I haven't found the laxative part of a cigarette, yet!
But I'm down to 4 a day now and am really trying hard to quit. Fingers crossed I can do it this time.Leanne

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Gypsy Cat and others.... I amj a smoker with IBS and I know exactly what you mean!!! But it's not that smoking has a laxative in it... it's purely and simply that nicotine is a relaxant.... hence (well, for me, anyway) it 'relaxes' my bowels and sphincter... especially when I'm stressed!But I have no immediate intention of quitting - I just tend to smoke when I know a loo is nearby - when travelling in Italy a year ago, I wouldn't smoke all day until I knew I waws in a situation where I knew a loo (or multiple loos!) were close by!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts