Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I think it was a primary cause of my condition. It was certainly the first trigger.Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wish I could say the same! I quit smoking and thought it would make my syptoms better, but i think the opposite was true. I was more constipated, which made the gas and bloating worse. I've since started smoking again, although less than I used to. I want to quit completely but quitting is hard enough without having my IBS symptoms worsen because of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
funny that i have just found this post as i just posted exactly the same.i was told smoking lines the gut so when i tried to give up it made my gut more sensitive and bring back the symptoms after being clear of symptoms for a whole month.if you try and give up dont use patches or pipes as apparantly this is not good for your ibs having a constant feed of nicotine in the system.try gum or cold turkey , my partner gave up by reading a book !! giving up smoking by allan carr .. i will be trying this myself once i have my latest attack under control (if there is ever such a thing lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually find it helps- tho i don't smoke these days. I read recently that smoking effects dopamin levels, which in turn effect serotonin levels- IBSers apparently have dodgy serotonin levels.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I quit cold turkey mid october 2005.I used to use smoking to make me go to the loo. I would have about 5 before i even left the house.I find my system is now a lot slower. I get more D and my timings have changed. Basically i now have zero control on when i go and i don't get hardly any warning that i need to go either.I still feel better athat i am a non smoker tho. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, as my mum would say.lisa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.