Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was scheduled tday to have a colonscopy and a Upper GI Endoscopy, i havent eaten in 24hrs and feel terrible, i had an extremley tough time with the Klean Prep... I woke today and got called by the hospital, because of snow its been cancelled.. I am mortified. I cant go through all this getting prepared and psyching myself up again next week! Im truly distraught and am really considering calling everything off...This morning aswell i have the most incredible headache and dont feel to well at all (still feel as if KP is doing something),has anyone else who has taken the Klean Prep had this and did it go? I need to try and prevent this next week!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Try to be positive as you can eat normally again for the next six days!If the laxative doesn't agree with you visit your doctor as I'm sure there are more suitable alternatives that you can take instead.I've had four colonoscopies so I know what you are going through but just hang in there.

·
Registered
722 Posts
So sorry your examinations been cancelled due to this horrendous weather we are having.Know how you feel it has happened to me.I was given a different laxative to take as the one i was given for another examination did not agree with me.They are not very pleasant to take anyway, but needed to do the tests.Take care.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Magic this is a horrendous turn of events for you. And I do not blame you for being angry! I try NOT to make any major decisions when I am feeling angry like that. So today.. just try to get something fairly easy on your gut to eat... rest a bit and generally take it easy. Like try to get rid of that headache etc..Yes you could feel like the KP is still doing something... that's kind of normal to feel that way. (And also quite normal to still have a few loose stools etc...) But also know that some folks feel quite a bit better for several days after going through the cleaning out process..and I do hope that is true for you. Don't even think about whether or not to re-schedule today. Give yourself some time to calm down and feel a bit better.. then make that decision maybe.

·
Registered
287 Posts
oh,magic, I feel so sorry for you. I had a colonoscopy 20+years ago and still remember the horrors of the prep. Well, I am now scheduled for a sigmoidoscopy tomorrow (they wanted to do a colonoscopy but I still can't face it after all these years) at 9.30am. I was due to be at the hosp at 7.15 but they called to delay my appt time due to the weather situation. I'm so nervous I'm having a gin and tonic to de-stress and help me sleep -I expect I will be miserable too if it is called off as I've taken the week off work-expecting the worst in terms of recovery from just the enema. I don't know whether I will have the energy to go through it again ever. I wish you luck and the strength to keep going.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yup... Gin IS a clear liquid isn't it??? LOL Good for you Petra!Magic hope you are feeling a bit better by now!

·
Banned
15 Posts
I can understand your problem. But the hospital has not done it wanted, they are forced to do so . Try to understand it and try to be normal. Firstly have some rest and eat some food, that may help you a lot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
well, just thought I would update you on my progress. I trudged through the snow to get to the hospital at 8.30am and arrived a few seconds before my GI consultant (very flashy car) who had made a sterling effort living about 20miles away. Anyway, most of the nursing staff for the wards hadn't managed to get in but the endoscopy nurses had-abandoning their cars and walking the rest. I had my enema-needing to go even before I had that but managed to wait. Then it had the usual effect. My consultant arrived to talk me throught the procedure but in mid speech I had to dash to the ensuite!!! How embarrassing was that! Anyway, my flexible sigmoidoscopy was uncomfortable and even painful but not for long. All I could focus on was not embarrassing myself. I was told no problem as my bowel would be clear-but of course no-one really understands that you have to keep going and going and going with IBS????. My gut was inflamed and told maybe due to the prep-in all honesty I held it for a max of 2mins so I doubt it. Probably, a complete waste of time and I doubt despite all my grief I'm any further forward. But hey- I did it and I'm back home and I survived! My husband and kids were still in bed when I got home about 10.30am so no difficult questions about where was Mum on a day few ventured out before noon unless to build a snowman!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Glad you made it through Petra. Was anything found?? Or was their opinion IBS?

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Magicfish - what a nightmare.I have had 2 colonoscopies in the last year and both times they gave me Picolax to clear me out and I had no problems with that at all. I also had to use it when given it by my GI doc and again it was ok. They also gave me some senna laxatives on the days before just to loosen things up. Maybe you could ask for that next time.Also, if it helps, the second time I had a colonoscopy I had it without sedation and it was not a problem at all apart from the occasional bit of mild discomfort. Now, I am not suggesting you do the same, but just to let you know it is really not too bad. The first time I had it with the sedation, I didn't feel a thing and couldn't remember hardly anything about it.Good luck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi BQ and Diana-no news but thanks for just taking an interest-seems strange to thinks cyber friends have an interest when I cant talk about this with anyone else-just nobody. Even hubby didnt ask how i got on-i know he cares but we cant talk about it so its airbrushed.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Airbrush??? There are air brushes???? Where???? I can think of a few things I would like to air brush in my life.......(LOL)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Well done for getting through it you deserve several Gin & Tonics

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi MAgicfish,I remember the prep for my sigmoidoscopy a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare to say the very least. I only just managed to get there and I was so shattered after going for about 24hours that it took me a few days to get over it. I think I would have probably thought exactly the same as you as I don't think I would want to go through that again either. I had the shakes and felt so weak it really took it out of me. You are so unlucky to have had that happen to you. I really feel for you.Petra, glad it all went ok for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.