Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now officially ready to lose it!!!I have had horrible nausea, some D., for 7 weeks now. This all developed right around the time I finished taking three courses of antibiotics in a row. (My doctor said that had nothing to do with any of this.) This was also the time I finished two months of birth control pills for some ovarian cysts. (Again my doctor said this is all coincidental.) She ran some tests and has decided she has no idea what is causing the nausea (which she has also said is not a symptom of IBS) and referred me to a gastro doc. I was thrilled to hear this until I heard that they can't see me until January 24th!! I don't know what to do now. She prescribed phenergan for the nausea but it makes me drowsy and with four kids, drowsy doesn't work. I am trying ginger and peppermint but it really isn't doing much for me. As you all know there is so much to be done this time of year so, of course, I just keep going. But this nausea ruins every day for me now. I don't enjoy anything right now which makes me sad when I see how excited my kids and husband are getting for the holidays. Ok. Enough boo-hooing. I just know that many of you share my frustrations. Thanks for listening. Carly

·
Registered
550 Posts
Carly, sorry you are feeling so lousy, and with 4 children, ouch. Have you tried to make ginger tea with ginger root? That has helped a lot of expecing mother's with nausea, it just might help you. Hope you feel better soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carly,Sorry to hear you're feeling ill. Ditto to what Luckylou said - ginger tea helps calm down the nauseousness (I use the kind in tea bags - I don't brew my own.) Also, peppermints help - as in peppermint candies or peppermint tea.I too have nauseau and I THINK it's a secondary reaction of the IBS that some of us have. I get my nauseau after I have an IBS attack and I believe it's related to something called "stomach dumping" where the stomach dumps the contents in it into the intestines too quickly hence causing the nauseau. I'm not a Dr. so I'm making this guess based on reading info on Medscape & my own personal experience.Try the peppermints & ginger tea - hopefully they'll help. -UPandDOWN

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know so well what you are going through. I have incredible nausea. In fact, as long as I have suffered with IBS, I have never had nausea as a symptom until now. We just moved cross country and I am now feeling the effects of this life change. I am hunting like a madman trying to find help. I, too, hate the incessant waiting for an answer. If I have to go through one more test I think I will scream. I don't know if it helps, but I understand fully. My prayers are with you this Christmas season. May we both find relief.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
If you check with the pharmacist you will probably find the antibiotics can mess up the stomach. The diarrhea and nausea could be caused from them.Linda

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Have you tried acidophilus tablets? The most effective one is expensive, but you probably won't have to take it once you replace the good flora. It's called Culturelle and is available at www.Culturelle.com and is an isolated lactobacillus (Lactobacillus GG) that adheres to your intestinal lining for up to seven days and survives stomach acids and even antibiotics. Take it until the box is finished and see what happens. Can't hurt, anyway.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have read in several reputable IBS books that nausea IS a symptom. It makes sense--the digestive system is all connected together, and an uproar at one end is bound to affect the other. In fact, nausea is always my first warning that I'm going to have to "go" soon (even the rare non-D times). Without correcting your dr. on this point (they don't seem to take this too well), maybe you could ask to try another anti-nausea medicine. I use Tigan (Trimethobenz) and it never makes me sleepy. Acidophilus supplements are an excellent idea, also.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
CCC - there are tons of new anti-nausea medications on the market now. Call your doc and demand another one that does not have the drowsy side effect! If you don't get satisfaction from that one, then call again...unfortunately, we have to advocate for ourselves in this day and age of healthcare! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CCC, Another thing you may want to have tested are your thyroid levels. When I was hyperthyroid, I started my IBS and was horribly nauseous. Hopefully, your doc has already tested this tho. I still have IBS, but now get nauseous before and while I have the D. Once I go my stomach seems to slowly calm. I have eaten candied ginger, and if I can get it strong enough, it seems to help. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree with Persistance, try acidophilus. My latest IBS attack came on after a heavy round of antibiotics and NOTHING helped it until I started on the acidophilus. I take 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM on empty stomach. And thrilled with the results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi- try yogurt with active cultures, or the acidophilus everyone is always talking about. You probably killed off your intestinal flora-the "good" stuff- by the antibiotics. Those drugs are very strong, and are more than likely the cause of how you feel now. Do you have an acid problem, also? Maybe you should be checked for an ulcer....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel your pain! Whatever is wrong with you will probably resolve itself.I have a LOT to say on this subject, hopefully it will help you. If you want more, or have any questions, just e-mail me. Try to eat small amounts of very bland food frequently. An empty stomach can cause more nausea. Eat saltine crackers and room temp. ginger ale. Also try Vernor's (?), a very strong ginger ale. Don't overdo it on antacids of any kind. I actually seem to lack stomach acid,if that is even possible and having MORE acid, along with enzymes helps me break food down better. You have to relax and stay calm, and think positive thoughts- because stress will exacerbate the nausea. I literally had to "brainwash" myself by meditating and ignoring the constant nausea. Meditate and get as much sleep as you possibly can, so your body can heal. Here's the story: In early 1997, after being extremely sick with bronchitis, sinus infec, etc, and being cured from it by Biaxin, an antibiotic, I started having other weird symptoms. I was extremely weak, nauseated, lightheaded, my vision was blurred,and I was mentally confused, as if I had taken a LOT of Valium. I was finally diagnosed with vestibular (balance) nerve damage due to inflammation of the nerve. It is also called Viral Labyrinthitis, the terms are interchangeable. I will never know for sure what caused it. I was constantly feeling nauseated, weak, disoriented and lightheaded. It eventually tapered off over the course of over 2 YEaRS. If anyone on the list has symptoms like this, then I can talk with you more abouit it through e-mail. I ended up with severe panic disorder and IBS from the stress of the condition. The nerve damage is often misdiagnosed, and can cause a number of additional mental and physical problems. If you don't have an ulcer,and you have taken the acidopholis for awhile and STILL have nausea, you could consider being evaluated by an ENT, who can send you in for testing (test called an ENG). That can determine if there is nerve damage. If your nausea gets worse from certain movements or visual cues, then you should be evaluated. The sad end of this story is: there is no drug for it and no cure, BUT the body learns to compensate for the damage, and some physical and eye therapies work.
The thing that helped me the most was Klonopin, which I still take. It helped to numb my mind to what I was feeling, so I did not panic over it as much. It would help to go to a psychiatrist , to help you deal with the anxiety it causes. Sorry this is so long: this can be considered my medical history and bio! Thanks for reading- Hilary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I would also add that the most help I ever got with my IBS, and other problems was from my psychiatrist,a counselor, an alternative practitioner (chiropractichomeopathicmassage)and NUTRITIONIST. The least help I got was from my ENTs, my gastro. docs,and my GPs. Aside from the formal tests and the drugs,which ARE important, the gastros are not of any further help.If you want someone to help you with every day, then you would be best helped by having a nutritionist and someone who can help you with relaxation-like cognitive therapy, hypnosis, massage,herbs, enzymes, etc. You will have to learn how to function and how to eat and stay relatively healthy despite how you feel. This what I have concluded after almost 3 years of treatment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words. I have taken many of your suggestions to heart and will, hopefully, see some improvement. I started on a good "pro-biotic" (acidophilus) yesterday and we'll see what happens. I have looked for some candied ginger but can't seem to find it...maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.The real zinger to this whole story is that this was supposed to be a very exciting time for my husband and me. After much soul searching and loooong deliberation, we decided to add one more child to our family. This required a vasectomy reversal so it has not been a decisio made lightly. That has all healed well and now was the time when we could start trying. And now I feel like this. Sometimes I wonder if someone isn't trying to tell me something ;-)Again, thanks. Carly

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hilary -- do you think it's possible these symptoms were caused by the Biaxin? I may be VERY far afield, but I have read in Joe Graedon's column (the pharmacist who writes the People's Pharmacy Books) that Floxin, Cipro, Biaxin and Noroxin can cause wierd symptoms that persist for years. I'm not sure if that's one of them, but one women had lightheadedness, feelings of confusion and disorientation and finally depression after Floxin for five years. I just did a search last night under Joe Graedon and found his Peoples Pharmacy site and put in both Floxin and Biaxin and got some scary information and case histories. But maybe your problem was there all the time and this is way off base?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Persistance,I'd like to read your findings. I have taken Floxin over the years as needed. I am always nauseous in the mornings and sometimes during the day, but not to the degree that I'm worried about it. I sometimes attribute mine to sinus drainage....who knows??

·
Registered
820 Posts
CCC,I take Acidolphilus daily and it helps me in a number of ways, I believe, such as regular bowel movements and more frequent urination. I hope you feel better and do keep us informed of your findings....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't care what the doctors think, antibiotics of any kind give me horrible D. And IBS causes me nausea all the time. That acidophilus is a good idea. I will have to try that next time I get on antibiotics. I don't know about the bc pills. I am about to start a new prescription myself (my old one stopped working when I started fiber therapy and Librax, another medical mystery) so I may notice some problems. Good luck and I hope things get better for you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your doctor was wrong in saying that nausea is not associated with IBS, or maybe my doctor is wrong. I had horrible nausea for months. I would wake up every morning to start a gagging fit. I finally went to the doctor about it and that was when I was diagnoised with IBS. She said that is what is causing my nausea. My abs cramp up in the middle of the night and get so tight that when I wake up the next morning my stomach is sore and causes me nausea. Im also on Phengren to help with the nausea. I have suffered from IBS for 17 it started when I was 2 and have been dealing with it ever since. I think its great that your doctor still let you see a gastrologist. Maybe he will tell you what will really help.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
CCC, Sometimes I feel the same way you do- Is God trying to tell me something? Maybe I shouldn't have gone on birth control and taken the easy way out. (This is when my IBS symptoms began- Constipation; oral birth control taken to delay family), then about 20 yrs later I go to a dermatologist who prescribes antibiotics for my adult oncet acne and my bowels change to frequent soft stooling and cramping due to yeast growth in the gut from taking the antibiotic). Was this the result of my being vain? Are these the consequences of being in a quick fix-it world? What about the other people who have to go on hormones and antibiotics for other things? Don't some of them end up with the same problems? Do I put all the blame on me or some on the doctors and pharmaceutical companies who what to make a quick buck? Help, I'm drowning in blameing and guilt! From here we have to think of solutions. Not all are ready to do this and take the responsibility. I think many doctors are trying to hide from this, as it is too difficult to deal with. They have enough to do with trying to save the world from other sufferings. It so much easier just to write a prescription. Or is it? There are many complications that can happen in taking any drug. It doesn't always end when we stop taking it like we'd all like to think. I agree with taking a good acidiophilis and I might add cutting down on sugars, white flour, fermented and aged foods, and preservatives such as citric and benzoic acid. Lactic acid might be another one. You body may have become sensitive to molds and these foods can only add to the problems. The white flour might not fit this category, but you need to bulk up your stool with whole grains instead. It's worth the effort to see if your condition improves. Mine was so bad, I had to finally go to an allergist who pinpointed my sensitivites and ordered an antifungal as well as the diet. My symptoms improved tremensously. I wish you well in estabilishing new found health and a lovely family to come.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts