Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
It all started May of last year. I'd been working on being healthy and eating good foods and I started to become more regular. Like every morning regular and I didn't think twice about it, I was happy cause I've never been regular! I've always been used to bulky, dark, constipated large stools... and now they were lighter color, and not bulky but narrower and longer. I didn't think anything was wrong, especially since I had no pains, but I googled it and of course when you put in narrow stool Dr. Google says you have cancer. That's when I started freaking out and I saw 3 Drs after that. First said IBS, second said probably IBS but wanted to do a flex sig, third said probably NOT cancer but wanted to do a colonoscopy.

I finally agreed to do the colonoscopy but my company changed insurances this year and the place I was scheduled was now out of network. I was unable to reschedule due to no available dates at the end of the year so I had to cancel.

What I noticed was, when I scheduled my colonoscopy I finally relaxed because I knew I had done everything I could do! I've realized now that since I haven't been worrying about WHAT is going on with me, I have felt amazing!! I haven't even had the narrow stools, and are about every day to every other day and since I haven't been freaking out about it, I feel like I have more of a natural urge to go. I think before, I knew I had been going every morning so I started to make myself go every morning. Could trying to make yourself go cause narrow stools? I mean if you're contracting to make a BM and there isn't enough there to make a normal stool size, couldn't it come out thinner? Since I haven't been thinking about how often or when to have a BM, it feels more natural when I do have one. I mean, I strain some times but I definitely need to be drinking more water so it could be that for sure!

I also had been taking phentermine weight loss pill that speeds up metabolism and suppresses appetite for almost a year, and I don't think you're supposed to be prescribed for that long. I'm also wondering if this could have messed up my digestion being on it for so long and then coming off.

I've had no pain, no blood (only a couple times ever and could have been hemorrhoids because it was only a tiny bit) no weight loss (some gain), no anemia in my blood work, no history of colon cancer (my dad had polyps removed in his 50's) and I'm a 32 year old female.

I want to say that I don't need the colonoscopy, I just wanted to get some other opinions because I don't want to be ignorant either. I miscarried last October, and my husband and I have been really wanting to try for a family again so the reason why I'm trying to make up my mind about this procedure.

I appreciate any advice, thank you!

·
Registered
844 Posts
It all started May of last year. I'd been working on being healthy and eating good foods and I started to become more regular. Like every morning regular and I didn't think twice about it, I was happy cause I've never been regular! I've always been used to bulky, dark, constipated large stools... and now they were lighter color, and not bulky but narrower and longer. I didn't think anything was wrong, especially since I had no pains, but I googled it and of course when you put in narrow stool Dr. Google says you have cancer. That's when I started freaking out and I saw 3 Drs after that. First said IBS, second said probably IBS but wanted to do a flex sig, third said probably NOT cancer but wanted to do a colonoscopy.

I finally agreed to do the colonoscopy but my company changed insurances this year and the place I was scheduled was now out of network. I was unable to reschedule due to no available dates at the end of the year so I had to cancel.

What I noticed was, when I scheduled my colonoscopy I finally relaxed because I knew I had done everything I could do! I've realized now that since I haven't been worrying about WHAT is going on with me, I have felt amazing!! I haven't even had the narrow stools, and are about every day to every other day and since I haven't been freaking out about it, I feel like I have more of a natural urge to go. I think before, I knew I had been going every morning so I started to make myself go every morning. Could trying to make yourself go cause narrow stools? I mean if you're contracting to make a BM and there isn't enough there to make a normal stool size, couldn't it come out thinner? Since I haven't been thinking about how often or when to have a BM, it feels more natural when I do have one. I mean, I strain some times but I definitely need to be drinking more water so it could be that for sure!

I also had been taking phentermine weight loss pill that speeds up metabolism and suppresses appetite for almost a year, and I don't think you're supposed to be prescribed for that long. I'm also wondering if this could have messed up my digestion being on it for so long and then coming off.

I've had no pain, no blood (only a couple times ever and could have been hemorrhoids because it was only a tiny bit) no weight loss (some gain), no anemia in my blood work, no history of colon cancer (my dad had polyps removed in his 50's) and I'm a 32 year old female.

I want to say that I don't need the colonoscopy, I just wanted to get some other opinions because I don't want to be ignorant either. I miscarried last October, and my husband and I have been really wanting to try for a family again so the reason why I'm trying to make up my mind about this procedure.

I appreciate any advice, thank you!
I'll try to answer your questions!

Trying to force yourself to go DEFINITELY causes narrow stools. You almost never want to force bowel movements, which is a very difficult thing for a lot of people with IBS. It decreases stool size, increases intrabdominal pressure (which can cause future issues), and decreases anorectal sensitivity. All of these things can contribute to general IBS symptoms.

It could also be that there was a large psychological component to it as well, so you are on to something there.

But my personal guess is that the phentermine was causing most of your issues. Go back and think about when you started taking it and when your issues started? When did you stop taking it and when did your issues stop?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for replying!! It's so comforting to hear your opinion! Honestly I wish I recorded when I stopped taking it, I know in May when things started changing I stopped everything, and then I think that caused some constipation because everything slowed way down. do I started taking it again. One day, I just decided I'm going to stop taking them long enough to see if it made a difference and I havent been taking them for at least.....I'd say since August/September 2016 and I started taking phentermine June 27th 2015 so a little over a year, where any years prior I had no digestive issues at all.
Thanks so much again, I really appreciate your opinion!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.