Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying, or more accurately re-trying Amitiza. I tried it the first time as long as a decade ago, but it eventually stopped working. I've also tried Linzess and very recently Trulance. Nothing seems to work. I don't know whether the Amitiza is working, as my pattern of bowel activity is relatively similar to what it is without it, when I use just Miralax. Since I started the Amitiza few weeks ago, I tend to have bowel movements every three or four days, not what the doctor hopes for, which is nearly every day. And when my body does kick in, I almost always have multiple bowel movements a day, for example it's now 6 p.m. and I think I could count six or seven, starting out small this morning and getting larger; the way my system feels, I wouldn't be surprised by one or two more incidents. Since I have hemorrhoids, every instance only makes them worse, too. Is this the drug working or just my slow system finally responding? I don't think there's any way to know. To make things worse, I'm not used to taking a pill twice a day, with meals (I take something else early in the morning on an empty stomach), so sometimes I forget to take one or the other of the daily doses, or just can't remember whether I did, so I don't want to potentially take a double dose. This irregularity probably doesn't help. But these swings from days of no activity to days of frequent trips to the bathroom (the stools are solid, although kind of soft and messy to clean up) are very much like those from before I started the prescription.
I don't think there are any other drugs available to me, so it's probably back to Miralax, which is far from ideal. I'm just so tired of all of this. All I can do for the hemorrhoids is use cream, which provides minimal, short-term relief. After a day like today, it isn't of much benefit. I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in about 10 days. Unless he's got some miracle cure he hasn't mentioned before, I honestly don't know what he can do for me. I'm also scheduled to see an endocrinologist on the same day (I've had thyroid problems and take a synthetic hormone); it's a faint possibility some of my GI issues actually are related to that, but who knows. I will definitely bring it up.
Is there any hope for me and all of us who are so unhappy?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As if yesterday wasn't bad enough, I've had diarrhea four or five times this afternoon. I often have frequent bowel movements (on particularly bad days, 10 or 12, or more—by that time I lose count—but they're generally solid. Today wasn't like that. Ugh! I took two anti-diarrheal tablets that ought to squelch things, although I can take two more in a 24-hour period and am reserving those if things get worse. I think my experiment with Amitiza will soon come to an end. I had diarrhea about 10 days ago, also while on Amitiza, and the doctor said I could cut back to one a day if I felt it was necessary until we had a chance to talk at my next appointment. I might try that instead of just stopping all together. But not tomorrow; I'm facing a long dental procedure in the morning, and I don't want diarrhea then.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
When you are in a bad cycle like you are now I think it's important to try different things to help. Have you ever considered the carnivore diet ("eat meat, drink water.")? I'm not full-on carnivore but I do eat mostly meat, as it has no fiber and fiber is a menace to me. It definitely helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been trying, or more accurately re-trying Amitiza. I tried it the first time as long as a decade ago, but it eventually stopped working. I've also tried Linzess and very recently Trulance. Nothing seems to work. I don't know whether the Amitiza is working, as my pattern of bowel activity is relatively similar to what it is without it, when I use just Miralax. Since I started the Amitiza few weeks ago, I tend to have bowel movements every three or four days, not what the doctor hopes for, which is nearly every day. And when my body does kick in, I almost always have multiple bowel movements a day, for example it's now 6 p.m. and I think I could count six or seven, starting out small this morning and getting larger; the way my system feels, I wouldn't be surprised by one or two more incidents. Since I have hemorrhoids, every instance only makes them worse, too. Is this the drug working or just my slow system finally responding? I don't think there's any way to know. To make things worse, I'm not used to taking a pill twice a day, with meals (I take something else early in the morning on an empty stomach), so sometimes I forget to take one or the other of the daily doses, or just can't remember whether I did, so I don't want to potentially take a double dose. This irregularity probably doesn't help. But these swings from days of no activity to days of frequent trips to the bathroom (the stools are solid, although kind of soft and messy to clean up) are very much like those from before I started the prescription.
I don't think there are any other drugs available to me, so it's probably back to Miralax, which is far from ideal. I'm just so tired of all of this. All I can do for the hemorrhoids is use cream, which provides minimal, short-term relief. After a day like today, it isn't of much benefit. I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in about 10 days. Unless he's got some miracle cure he hasn't mentioned before, I honestly don't know what he can do for me. I'm also scheduled to see an endocrinologist on the same day (I've had thyroid problems and take a synthetic hormone); it's a faint possibility some of my GI issues actually are related to that, but who knows. I will definitely bring it up.
Is there any hope for me and all of us who are so unhappy?
Hi - I've had IBS-C for 30 years; Always have a problem and have tried everything I think; My suggestion is about an app called Nerva that I've been using the past few months; it's a hypnotherapy app for IBS sufferers; 85% seem to have success with it; It's a daily guided meditation about 15-20 min each day w/a informative reading regarding IBS; It was created by Dr. Simone Peters - world leading expert in the treatment of IBS. 1 month-$43.99 or 3 mons-$60.99 or 1 yr.-$139.99; Many studies done at universities that shows it works. You don't have to watch your diet too much while doing it. Success rate last approx 5 yrs then they have a maintenance program for a tune-up.

Add'l info: Dr. Simone works for Alfred Health and the Monash University FODMAP Research Team. It was while working with Monash that she became aware of the potential for psychological therapies to improve gastrointestinal symptoms in people with gastrointestinal disorders and completed her PhD examining the role of gut-directed hypnotherapy as a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe try dicetal and an otc buscopan and start on some probiotics... you might have an overabundance of bad bacteria floating around in your gut which would make matters worse. There's a company that's called ActivatedYou that sells a powder you put in a glass of water or any liquid with pre and pro biotics with leafy greens that could possibly help. I'm waiting for my order to come in. I'm from Canada so I'm not sure if the two meds I suggested were available but it's sure worth a shot. Lots of water with lemon slices. Fruits and veggies and a lean protein such as chicken. Try eating mainly just that while eliminating everything else for a week or 2 and see if you notice your system settling down. I hope this helps for some relief... please keep me posted. M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts