Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a 33 year old male who has IBS-C. I cannot take it anymore. I've always had lower digestive issues....most commonly, feelings of incomplete evacuation, massive massive massive amounts of gas...passing gas every 30 seconds to a minute all night long, often getting no sleep as a result...and constipation. It used to be that maybe 10 days a month were bad. Since January, it has been 30. I have been BADLY constipated since then. At the doctor's advice, I have added fiber, I have added MiraLax, I have added probiotics...I am drinking fennel tea, I am taking fish oil...I have increased my fluid intake. I've tried enemas, mag sulfate...nothing provides anything close to lasting relief. MAYBE I feel better for a day. Then it all comes back. The shame of it all is, I am otherwise in the best shape I have been in my entire life. I lost 75 lbs over the last 18 months or so, and my diet is MUCH better now. I eat more whole grains, more vegetables, more lean proteins, and less junk. I exercise 4-5 times a week whether it be jogging, walking, or weight training. I've carved 10 inches off my waist line, and have a great life and great young kids who I love.And yet this clouds every moment of every day. Constantly feeling bloated...massive amounts of horrible very foul smelling gas. Cramping. Misery. Hate traveling in cars with people because I am so embarassed. I was up cramping bloated and passing gas the entire night before father's day...didn't sleep a minute. So all father's day I was in like a coma...couldnt even enjoy the day. I've missed work because of it too...on multiple occassions. It's even our sex life, as many nights I am just physically unable to get past the pain and discomfort to even consider romance.Over the past few months I have had x-rays, ct-scans, colonoscopies...everything checks out clear. I almost wish there was a tangible problem that could be corrected. As it stands, I am barely able to defecate with a lot of coffee every morning...and even then, it never feels close to a complete voiding...I can tell there is still a lot back there that isnt coming out.I wish there was a pill that would just make my bowel normal. It seems even the few meds out there are only for women. I feel so hopeless. I feel like I am losing so many days minutes and hours I could be enjoying with my family.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you tried taking an osmotic laxative every day?Either miralax or magnesium oxide? You may need magnesium even with a good diet. from 250-1000 mgs a day sometimes works.Even if you back up again you may get enough relief if you take it consistently so all the stool is always wetter than it would be otherwise.Zoloft sometimes helps get the gut nerves moving things along better, the drug doesn't know it is marketed as an antidepressant.Try a couple of brands of probiotics as you may find one that reduces gas volume. You might also reduce the starchy things, even if they are whole grains and see if less of those helps lower the amount of gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried taking an osmotic laxative every day?Either miralax or magnesium oxide? You may need magnesium even with a good diet. from 250-1000 mgs a day sometimes works.Even if you back up again you may get enough relief if you take it consistently so all the stool is always wetter than it would be otherwise.Zoloft sometimes helps get the gut nerves moving things along better, the drug doesn't know it is marketed as an antidepressant.Try a couple of brands of probiotics as you may find one that reduces gas volume. You might also reduce the starchy things, even if they are whole grains and see if less of those helps lower the amount of gas.
Thanks for the tips kathleen. My routine is fiber AND miralax are part of my daily regimen, have been for a month or so now...they dont really seem to help much...I do go slightly more, but I still have very incomplete feelings of evacuation, and I still have as much if not more gas cramping and bloating...Never heard the zoloft idea...I may float that by the doctor...only issue I cna perceive is i do take clonipin as needed for anxiety, but really only need it like once or twice a month...Also, I was under the impression that too much magnesium could be bad...is mag oxide ok? I know mag citrate you shouldnt take too often...

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you read up on magnesium, you'll see that a lot of people find help with itand if you don't take too much, it's safe. The fiber you're taking may be causing gas or the extra vegetables so just beaware of that. Talk to your doctor.You may need to take a laxative to help you - better than what you're going through.Ask your doctor to advise you on what would be safe.Miralax doesn't work for everyone and you may need to try some different things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you read up on magnesium, you'll see that a lot of people find help with itand if you don't take too much, it's safe. The fiber you're taking may be causing gas or the extra vegetables so just beaware of that. Talk to your doctor.You may need to take a laxative to help you - better than what you're going through.Ask your doctor to advise you on what would be safe.Miralax doesn't work for everyone and you may need to try some different things.
The frustrating thing is...based on my last visit, I dont think he has any more answers or ideas.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know, it is so horrible when it is all the time and exhausting like this. I am the same. Don't ever give up hope. Keep harrassing your doctors, they just want you to go home and live with it probably but you are not going to do that.Have you tried:Drinking over 3 litres of water a day - a pain as you pee all the time but makes a huge differenceMethylcellulose (celevac) fibreMagnesium citrate tablets from health shopsMSM tablets from health shopsAsking to be tested for rectal intussusception - this can cause these symptoms and some are even cured when this is fixed surgically, though NOT all. They spot it on X ray proctogram but apparently it can be quite hard to spot so it has to be a radiologist who knows what he is looking for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Citrucel fiber is supposed to cause much less gasthan the Metamucil. I had to cut way back on the amountof fiber I was taking. It wasn't helping much anyway.Have you tried the Amitiza? Some people have success withthat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Citrucel fiber is supposed to cause much less gasthan the Metamucil. I had to cut way back on the amountof fiber I was taking. It wasn't helping much anyway.Have you tried the Amitiza? Some people have success withthat.
I was under the impression this was only approved for women with IBS?I will ask about it. I will try the citrucel...the metamucil is what I am taking. Cant hurt to try

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have you been tested for: Spruce (wheat allergies) and thyroid ?
I'm a 33 year old male who has IBS-C. I cannot take it anymore. I've always had lower digestive issues....most commonly, feelings of incomplete evacuation, massive massive massive amounts of gas...passing gas every 30 seconds to a minute all night long, often getting no sleep as a result...and constipation. It used to be that maybe 10 days a month were bad. Since January, it has been 30. I have been BADLY constipated since then. At the doctor's advice, I have added fiber, I have added MiraLax, I have added probiotics...I am drinking fennel tea, I am taking fish oil...I have increased my fluid intake. I've tried enemas, mag sulfate...nothing provides anything close to lasting relief. MAYBE I feel better for a day. Then it all comes back. The shame of it all is, I am otherwise in the best shape I have been in my entire life. I lost 75 lbs over the last 18 months or so, and my diet is MUCH better now. I eat more whole grains, more vegetables, more lean proteins, and less junk. I exercise 4-5 times a week whether it be jogging, walking, or weight training. I've carved 10 inches off my waist line, and have a great life and great young kids who I love.And yet this clouds every moment of every day. Constantly feeling bloated...massive amounts of horrible very foul smelling gas. Cramping. Misery. Hate traveling in cars with people because I am so embarassed. I was up cramping bloated and passing gas the entire night before father's day...didn't sleep a minute. So all father's day I was in like a coma...couldnt even enjoy the day. I've missed work because of it too...on multiple occassions. It's even our sex life, as many nights I am just physically unable to get past the pain and discomfort to even consider romance.Over the past few months I have had x-rays, ct-scans, colonoscopies...everything checks out clear. I almost wish there was a tangible problem that could be corrected. As it stands, I am barely able to defecate with a lot of coffee every morning...and even then, it never feels close to a complete voiding...I can tell there is still a lot back there that isnt coming out.I wish there was a pill that would just make my bowel normal. It seems even the few meds out there are only for women. I feel so hopeless. I feel like I am losing so many days minutes and hours I could be enjoying with my family.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jay - I'm truly sorry for what you're going through. I know exactly what it's like. If your doctor has run out of ideas, you need to go to a different doctor (and a different one after that, and a different one after that, until you find something that works or at least someone who will keep trying for you). Don't give up - there are dozens of options for IBS-C and new treatments are always emerging. I know it's hard to stay positive, I have moments where I just want to curl up and die, but it will be worth it if/when we eventually find the treatment that works for us.Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between the different types of magnesium (citrate/oxide etc)? Doctors have never even mentioned magnesium to me, I know you get it from health shops but am completely clueless about it otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there, fellow constipation sufferer here...just a suggestion..i haven't tried it yet, i just thought i would throw it out there...if you have a juicer, carrot and spinach juice together is supposed to help---doesn't sound pleasant, but why not try...it's not chemical...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts