Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am increasingly growing weary and tired (especially mentally)of having to use so much energy to control my IBS. Some days no matter what I do (most days actually)IBS has a mind of its own. I am doing much better than I once was, have had IBS for over 20 years. Was doing well with elavil for abdominal pain (biggest symptom). Since taking antibiotics (I HAD to)about a month ago I either cant go or go to much. Before the doxycycxline I sort of leaned more towards C, but I dont fit the profile for it cause I usually go every day but not effectively often. Anyway now I either go so much that it becomes D or I cant go and feel that I need to. Sorry for the vent, I just cant take it anymore!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A couple of things.1. Might make sure you do not have a C. dif infection from the antibiotic. (get a stool sample).2. If it isn't any post-antibiotic infection issue and even if it is you might try probiotics to see if adding some good bacteria into there seems to help.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A couple of things.1. Might make sure you do not have a C. dif infection from the antibiotic. (get a stool sample).2. If it isn't any post-antibiotic infection issue and even if it is you might try probiotics to see if adding some good bacteria into there seems to help.K.

·
Registered
78 Posts
NancyCat,It's so hard to to focus on the IBS. All my energy is always directed to it and I can't focus and enjoy things I want/should. And I get frustrated when people just don't understand what I am going through because they see me as weak. I agree, I am weak, but I'm weak from fighting it, not weak in general. Us IBS suffers are very strong people and for some reason are given this task of fighting it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
NancyCat,It's so hard to to focus on the IBS. All my energy is always directed to it and I can't focus and enjoy things I want/should. And I get frustrated when people just don't understand what I am going through because they see me as weak. I agree, I am weak, but I'm weak from fighting it, not weak in general. Us IBS suffers are very strong people and for some reason are given this task of fighting it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K-From what I understand you can't do an accurate C.dif stool culture unless you have D. The lab wants loose stool and mine isn't that. Was taking Cultrelle during and after the antib, still am, but it really hasn't done much for me. My biggest complaint is that I feel like I'm in a rut and the elavil I take for pain isnt as effective.tmar89-I wish I could be challenged,tested in some other way than with having to fight my IBS.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K-From what I understand you can't do an accurate C.dif stool culture unless you have D. The lab wants loose stool and mine isn't that. Was taking Cultrelle during and after the antib, still am, but it really hasn't done much for me. My biggest complaint is that I feel like I'm in a rut and the elavil I take for pain isnt as effective.tmar89-I wish I could be challenged,tested in some other way than with having to fight my IBS.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I usually find that this verse really helps me"God, grant me the serenityto accept the things I cannot change;the courage to change the things I can;and the wisdom to know the difference."You caan't always control your IBS. There is only so much you can do. It is not your fault if you can't control it. All you can do is try to avoid the triggers that you are aware of, take the medications you are given. That is not to say that you shouldn't be proactive but to take a rest when your proactivity doesn't produce the results and not to blame yourself when it is unproductive.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I usually find that this verse really helps me"God, grant me the serenityto accept the things I cannot change;the courage to change the things I can;and the wisdom to know the difference."You caan't always control your IBS. There is only so much you can do. It is not your fault if you can't control it. All you can do is try to avoid the triggers that you are aware of, take the medications you are given. That is not to say that you shouldn't be proactive but to take a rest when your proactivity doesn't produce the results and not to blame yourself when it is unproductive.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Bonnie- that was great. Nancy- I understand. I have only been dealing with the mystery that is my stomach problem for a little less than a year and I am already worn out. My friends have witnessed me having these anxiety attacks at times I shouldn't feel anxious (like meeting a friend for a simple dinner). I am self conscious about that, and don't want to worry. I mean I want some compassion but then I don't want them feeling too sorry if you know what I mean. I don't remember what it's like not to think about this 24 hours a day or what it's like to go to the mall without a thought about it. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm watching a good movie or TV show- maybe you could incorporate that into your life somehow just as a break. Otherwise, I wish I knew what else to say!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Bonnie- that was great. Nancy- I understand. I have only been dealing with the mystery that is my stomach problem for a little less than a year and I am already worn out. My friends have witnessed me having these anxiety attacks at times I shouldn't feel anxious (like meeting a friend for a simple dinner). I am self conscious about that, and don't want to worry. I mean I want some compassion but then I don't want them feeling too sorry if you know what I mean. I don't remember what it's like not to think about this 24 hours a day or what it's like to go to the mall without a thought about it. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm watching a good movie or TV show- maybe you could incorporate that into your life somehow just as a break. Otherwise, I wish I knew what else to say!

·
Registered
116 Posts
"And I get frustrated when people just don't understand what I am going through because they see me as weak. I agree, I am weak, but I'm weak from fighting it, not weak in general. Us IBS suffers are very strong people and for some reason are given this task of fighting it. "yes, tmar, je suis d'accord! or uh, I agree. It's hard to complain about it to anyone b/c they get annoyed, so you just have to suffer in silence. It's funny when a non IBS person has a stomach ache or something, or feel a little not right in the stomach...it's like ha yes, try having that everyday, and it's a GOOD day when you don't need to run to the bathroom every hour. Yes we have a more bitter pill in life to swallow than others, but even still, it could be worse.

·
Registered
116 Posts
"And I get frustrated when people just don't understand what I am going through because they see me as weak. I agree, I am weak, but I'm weak from fighting it, not weak in general. Us IBS suffers are very strong people and for some reason are given this task of fighting it. "yes, tmar, je suis d'accord! or uh, I agree. It's hard to complain about it to anyone b/c they get annoyed, so you just have to suffer in silence. It's funny when a non IBS person has a stomach ache or something, or feel a little not right in the stomach...it's like ha yes, try having that everyday, and it's a GOOD day when you don't need to run to the bathroom every hour. Yes we have a more bitter pill in life to swallow than others, but even still, it could be worse.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All great replies. Thanks
It sucks to deal with this on a daily basis BUT its GREAT to know I'm not alone and actually be able to e-vent/share with others who actually do "get it". Thanks so much IBS BB people for always being there for me

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All great replies. Thanks
It sucks to deal with this on a daily basis BUT its GREAT to know I'm not alone and actually be able to e-vent/share with others who actually do "get it". Thanks so much IBS BB people for always being there for me

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, AlmostFamous, they would be annoyed before I was actually clinically diagnosed. Usually thinking it was my fault, that I ate too much and didn't know how to take care of myself and stuff. So most the time I didn't say anything and would try to hide my symptoms. Now that they know I have it, I still try to hide my symptoms when they happen because I don't want to draw attention to the fact and have people treat me like a leper or something...lol who knows.Yeah, NancyCat, it is nice to know there are others out there dealing with this!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, AlmostFamous, they would be annoyed before I was actually clinically diagnosed. Usually thinking it was my fault, that I ate too much and didn't know how to take care of myself and stuff. So most the time I didn't say anything and would try to hide my symptoms. Now that they know I have it, I still try to hide my symptoms when they happen because I don't want to draw attention to the fact and have people treat me like a leper or something...lol who knows.Yeah, NancyCat, it is nice to know there are others out there dealing with this!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.