Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to treat my ADHD/anxiety, but can't tolerate SSRIs, e.g., Prozac, Zoloft, Citalopram, etc. I quit each of them because of terrible dry mouth and worsened constipation. I've been taking Buspirone for > a month; no side effects, but ineffective. I take sleeping meds daily, so stimulants are not viable. I take Motegrity + MOM for my C, and I think I rather have ADHD than worsen my C. Everyone's different, but I'm curious about what folks in our community take for ADHD. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I want to treat my ADHD/anxiety, but can't tolerate SSRIs, e.g., Prozac, Zoloft, Citalopram, etc. I quit each of them because of terrible dry mouth and worsened constipation. I've been taking Buspirone for > a month; no side effects, but ineffective. I take sleeping meds daily, so stimulants are not viable. I take Motegrity + MOM for my C, and I think I rather have ADHD than worsen my C. Everyone's different, but I'm curious about what folks in our community take for ADHD. Thanks!
For anxiety I would suggest breathwork like abdominal breathing, 4-7-8 breath recommended by Andrew Weil and the pranayama-alternate nostril breathing. The Chinese herb ziziphus seed, suan zao ren is a very effective anti-anxiety agent and is considered the strongest sedative in the Chinese pharmacopoeia other than opium. I would recommend getting the seed and making a classic Chinese decoction and or making your own tincture as opposed to weak pills and extracts. The seed looks a bit like a reddish brown lentil. Not the date. Tryptophan powder is an excellent anti-anxiety agent and is in my opinion tragically under utilized. A suggested dose of tryptophan would be to start at 1/4 teaspoon and go up by 1/4 teaspoon at a time so as not to over do it. Get on top of it and stay on top of it. That's my take on this subject. There are a number of other very good herbs but this is a basic an likely effective program in my experience. Watch for excessive worry and rumination.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts