Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous thread, I attempted to find out if anyone on this BB might be employed by SSA and got no response. Soooo, my questions are,should there be anyone out there who can inform us:1. Do you receive SS disability for your IBS?2. Did you report having any other existing condition on which you were approved for disability?3. How long have you been a recipient?4. Did you get approved automatically or have a long, drawn-out appeal process?5. Do you know of anything specifically they were looking for?6. Do you have any suggestions for anyone who might need to go through the process? Anything to shorten the wait and/or aggravation?Any insight would be most appreciated and I might be on the wrong site; please forgive me if I'm in the wrong location. Thanks for your time. We are so grateful!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't answer your questions but wanted to throw my $.02 in. I remember researching the issue of Social Security disability benefits for my IBS-D (extreme D!), and found to my dismay that it isn't included in their list of covered illnesses. That was about two years ago so I guess it's possible that something's changed, but there was absolutely no provision for it at that time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't answer your questions but wanted to throw my $.02 in. I remember researching the issue of Social Security disability benefits for my IBS-D (extreme D!), and found to my dismay that it isn't included in their list of covered illnesses. That was about two years ago so I guess it's possible that something's changed, but there was absolutely no provision for it at that time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LinuxRules...Thanks so much for responding. I was almost certain there were others who successfully went through the process albeit a long, drawn out ordeal, yet successful in the end.Anyway, I just wanted you to know how thankful I was for your response. I'd heard the same thing about not being on their list of disabilities and, while I find that appauling, it took my sister months to get approved and she has MS. My neighbor had a massive stroke and it took him two rejections, two appeals and five months to get it. I guess there are just some things we'll never understand in this lifetime.Thanks again for taking your time, though. I was just doing some "wishful" thinking!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LinuxRules...Thanks so much for responding. I was almost certain there were others who successfully went through the process albeit a long, drawn out ordeal, yet successful in the end.Anyway, I just wanted you to know how thankful I was for your response. I'd heard the same thing about not being on their list of disabilities and, while I find that appauling, it took my sister months to get approved and she has MS. My neighbor had a massive stroke and it took him two rejections, two appeals and five months to get it. I guess there are just some things we'll never understand in this lifetime.Thanks again for taking your time, though. I was just doing some "wishful" thinking!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi goofygut! Thanks for the private message; I may not have checked back otherwise.
What I don't get is WHY an ailment that's second on the list (behind colds/flu) for missed days of work isn't considered serious enough to qualify for SS benefits. Doesn't make sense!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi goofygut! Thanks for the private message; I may not have checked back otherwise.
What I don't get is WHY an ailment that's second on the list (behind colds/flu) for missed days of work isn't considered serious enough to qualify for SS benefits. Doesn't make sense!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Linux,I've been asking myself that question for years !! If you really look into what is approved, especially the psychological justifications, you would be overwhelmed. I only know this from being "in the field" and seeing some people really get huge "pay-offs" for some fairly manageable conditions (or at least more manageable than IBS). Also, to see someone with MS or a stroke be rejected enough to deplete their savings accounts, pay high priced lawyers and THEN, finally be approved when those conditions should slide right through. Just one of those things that make you say, "Hmmmm".Oh, well. Thanks for your response. Seems we think along the same lines. I was almost certain I'd read of other people on this board who successfully received disability but maybe I was wrong. Perhaps the department refuses to recognize it since it can't be seen, verified or just maybe there are so many of us, they'd go "broke".Not much to do but persevere! Best wishes to you, Linux and thanks again for your note. I am truly grateful someone took the time to respond. How cool is that?Be encouraged...this,too, shall pass (one way or another)!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Linux,I've been asking myself that question for years !! If you really look into what is approved, especially the psychological justifications, you would be overwhelmed. I only know this from being "in the field" and seeing some people really get huge "pay-offs" for some fairly manageable conditions (or at least more manageable than IBS). Also, to see someone with MS or a stroke be rejected enough to deplete their savings accounts, pay high priced lawyers and THEN, finally be approved when those conditions should slide right through. Just one of those things that make you say, "Hmmmm".Oh, well. Thanks for your response. Seems we think along the same lines. I was almost certain I'd read of other people on this board who successfully received disability but maybe I was wrong. Perhaps the department refuses to recognize it since it can't be seen, verified or just maybe there are so many of us, they'd go "broke".Not much to do but persevere! Best wishes to you, Linux and thanks again for your note. I am truly grateful someone took the time to respond. How cool is that?Be encouraged...this,too, shall pass (one way or another)!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was recently awarded disability income due to depression and IBS.It was a 2 year process with several appeals.It was really hell.I felt like i was being treated like a criminal.Now that i have some income,it's still difficult because it's not much a month.They also don't cover full medical,only 80%.I'm trying to get medicaid to help cover extra expenses.It just never seems to end!They have to review the case in a few years.Some people get reviewed yearly.You are always having to prove yourself sick!All i can recommend is a lot of documentation and specific reasons from your doctor on why you can't work.My doctor had to write several letters.He got so tired of answering the same questions over and over.What ever you choose to do,i wish you the best and hope you don't have to go through the hell i have been through

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was recently awarded disability income due to depression and IBS.It was a 2 year process with several appeals.It was really hell.I felt like i was being treated like a criminal.Now that i have some income,it's still difficult because it's not much a month.They also don't cover full medical,only 80%.I'm trying to get medicaid to help cover extra expenses.It just never seems to end!They have to review the case in a few years.Some people get reviewed yearly.You are always having to prove yourself sick!All i can recommend is a lot of documentation and specific reasons from your doctor on why you can't work.My doctor had to write several letters.He got so tired of answering the same questions over and over.What ever you choose to do,i wish you the best and hope you don't have to go through the hell i have been through

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Goofy,You make a good point about IBS being hard to "prove" and how that may impact the decision not to cover it. And since it is so common, it could be financially devastating to SS if -every- person who has [or thinks they have...or pretends to have] IBS filed claims.But the flipside of it is this: *MY* IBS-D history is WELL-documented, over THREE DECADES. Surely they wouldn't think that it was all a diabolical plot to pretend I had IBS for 30 years so I could collect SS benefits now! As my IBS got worse and worse, many days I honestly didn't think I could make it through a work day. Employees would come into my office and LITERALLY say "Are you okay? You look kind of...GREEN!" I'd be doubled over in pain, and swallowing Imodium, Librax, Levsin, and Levbid like they were going out of style, just to HOPEFULLY control the pain and diarrhea. In a case like mine, where there is a LONG, documented history, it SHOULD be covered. At least in my opinion! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Goofy,You make a good point about IBS being hard to "prove" and how that may impact the decision not to cover it. And since it is so common, it could be financially devastating to SS if -every- person who has [or thinks they have...or pretends to have] IBS filed claims.But the flipside of it is this: *MY* IBS-D history is WELL-documented, over THREE DECADES. Surely they wouldn't think that it was all a diabolical plot to pretend I had IBS for 30 years so I could collect SS benefits now! As my IBS got worse and worse, many days I honestly didn't think I could make it through a work day. Employees would come into my office and LITERALLY say "Are you okay? You look kind of...GREEN!" I'd be doubled over in pain, and swallowing Imodium, Librax, Levsin, and Levbid like they were going out of style, just to HOPEFULLY control the pain and diarrhea. In a case like mine, where there is a LONG, documented history, it SHOULD be covered. At least in my opinion! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear B,B & B and Linux,Thanks,yet again for your replies.BB & B: I've been told one is more likely to get SS Disability if there is some type of co-morbiity condition,i.e. depression, generalized anxiety and/or PTSD. That makes perfect sense to me since this condition can certainly collect any of those diagnoses as a side-effect. I can't even imagine what you went through to get it and am not certain I'm "up for the fight" just now. It just amazes me how we can contribute so much $$ to the program after 40+ years of employment, but have to fight like theives to try to get something back, just to "feel better". I don't know very many people who would want exotic vacations or live in the proverbial "lap of luxury" at the expense of SS. I think most of us just want out lives back..not having to worry about getting through the grocery store line, assuming you can get out of the driveway to get to the store !!! Thank you so much for your best wishes. That means a bunch!! Best wishes to you in your recovery as well.Linux: I never thought of anyone "pretending" to have IBS !! That's pretty scarey!! Who would even "flirt" with this phenomena!! (Strange I never thought of that especially when I've worked in state social services and a prison for the past 30 years !! LOL!)We must "run in the same circle" of friends because more than once I've had someone say,"You don't feel well today, do you?" (That ALWAYS makes me feel better{!?}) Other days, someone might say, "You look like you feel really good today!" So, that would mean "how did I look yesterday?"Like you, I've got about 14 years worth of documentation from A thru Z but believe just attempting to get it (SS) anytime soon would be more aggravating to the colon than it would be worth. So, I guess I'll just be trying to "hold on" as long as possible. Finally,since I've been an avid supporter of Mike's Tapes and Calcium Supplements, not to mention any type of stress reducer, I wouldn't want anyone to be confused about these things not being effective anymore. They certainly are and I don't know what I'd do without any of them. However, don't you just really get tired of all this sometimes? Wouldn't it be awesome to wake up, NOT think about your colon or what may face you that day; make plans and not have to "wonder" about the route taken or the availability of bathroom stalls, etc.? Wounldn't that be too cool?Okay, I've babbled too long. Just let me say...thanks to both of you. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts and time. BE WELL !! Let's be thankful for the "good days" and pray we have more of them!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dear B,B & B and Linux,Thanks,yet again for your replies.BB & B: I've been told one is more likely to get SS Disability if there is some type of co-morbiity condition,i.e. depression, generalized anxiety and/or PTSD. That makes perfect sense to me since this condition can certainly collect any of those diagnoses as a side-effect. I can't even imagine what you went through to get it and am not certain I'm "up for the fight" just now. It just amazes me how we can contribute so much $$ to the program after 40+ years of employment, but have to fight like theives to try to get something back, just to "feel better". I don't know very many people who would want exotic vacations or live in the proverbial "lap of luxury" at the expense of SS. I think most of us just want out lives back..not having to worry about getting through the grocery store line, assuming you can get out of the driveway to get to the store !!! Thank you so much for your best wishes. That means a bunch!! Best wishes to you in your recovery as well.Linux: I never thought of anyone "pretending" to have IBS !! That's pretty scarey!! Who would even "flirt" with this phenomena!! (Strange I never thought of that especially when I've worked in state social services and a prison for the past 30 years !! LOL!)We must "run in the same circle" of friends because more than once I've had someone say,"You don't feel well today, do you?" (That ALWAYS makes me feel better{!?}) Other days, someone might say, "You look like you feel really good today!" So, that would mean "how did I look yesterday?"Like you, I've got about 14 years worth of documentation from A thru Z but believe just attempting to get it (SS) anytime soon would be more aggravating to the colon than it would be worth. So, I guess I'll just be trying to "hold on" as long as possible. Finally,since I've been an avid supporter of Mike's Tapes and Calcium Supplements, not to mention any type of stress reducer, I wouldn't want anyone to be confused about these things not being effective anymore. They certainly are and I don't know what I'd do without any of them. However, don't you just really get tired of all this sometimes? Wouldn't it be awesome to wake up, NOT think about your colon or what may face you that day; make plans and not have to "wonder" about the route taken or the availability of bathroom stalls, etc.? Wounldn't that be too cool?Okay, I've babbled too long. Just let me say...thanks to both of you. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts and time. BE WELL !! Let's be thankful for the "good days" and pray we have more of them!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first time writing in on the IBS Support website and pretty much, the first time I've written in on any Bulletin Board. I have read many of the entries for clues, ideas, and help in coping with this disease. I will try to keep things brief and relevant in replying here and not go into too great detail the circumstances of my own illnesses. I'll get right to the point first in response to your question. Over two years ago, I got out of the Marine Corps (active duty) from my medical problems, called Honorable under Involuntary for a discharge. The Dept. of Veterans Affairs compensated me only 10%, which I am currently appealing with a DAV Officer. This comes after two years of being unable to keep a job, because I get sick too frequently to put things short. I was working with the VA in Vocational Rehabilitation, but again couldn't keep a job. So my case worker with them recommended that I get my compensation or disability with the VA raised and apply for Social Security. Of course, I was rejected the first time much to my disappointment. She encouraged me to appeal though with a lawyer and that's what I've done since them. I recall him mentioning that if you can not work over two days (??) a month because of an ongoing medical problem, Social Security should help compensate. I think the best thing for others to do is get a lawyer. It doesn't cost you up front, but they will take from the back pay Social Security gives you for retroactive payment about 30% and up.Anyways, that's my experience and I'm now going to go to a judge after two written appeals with my lawyer for Social Security. Please let me know if there's anything I more I can tell you! Or more importantly, if there's anything YOU can tell me! Thank You!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first time writing in on the IBS Support website and pretty much, the first time I've written in on any Bulletin Board. I have read many of the entries for clues, ideas, and help in coping with this disease. I will try to keep things brief and relevant in replying here and not go into too great detail the circumstances of my own illnesses. I'll get right to the point first in response to your question. Over two years ago, I got out of the Marine Corps (active duty) from my medical problems, called Honorable under Involuntary for a discharge. The Dept. of Veterans Affairs compensated me only 10%, which I am currently appealing with a DAV Officer. This comes after two years of being unable to keep a job, because I get sick too frequently to put things short. I was working with the VA in Vocational Rehabilitation, but again couldn't keep a job. So my case worker with them recommended that I get my compensation or disability with the VA raised and apply for Social Security. Of course, I was rejected the first time much to my disappointment. She encouraged me to appeal though with a lawyer and that's what I've done since them. I recall him mentioning that if you can not work over two days (??) a month because of an ongoing medical problem, Social Security should help compensate. I think the best thing for others to do is get a lawyer. It doesn't cost you up front, but they will take from the back pay Social Security gives you for retroactive payment about 30% and up.Anyways, that's my experience and I'm now going to go to a judge after two written appeals with my lawyer for Social Security. Please let me know if there's anything I more I can tell you! Or more importantly, if there's anything YOU can tell me! Thank You!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.