Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago I tried an introduction of fiber tablets in an effort to ameliorate my sympotoms. The results were immediate and disasterous. I have no idea whether or not it was soluble fiber or not but I recently read that soluble fiber MAY help. I decided to give it a try over the weekend just in case I experience an identical reaction. Does anybody have any advice/experience with soluble fiber tablets?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
YES!!It was because I wasn't taking enough, paradoxically. This is why I couldn't "slowly move up to the high dose amount" like everyone recommends...It just made bulkier, faster moving D.You need to take around 15 grams before eating breakfast and 15 grams before eating dinner.I had to try all types of fiber before I found psyllium/metamucil works best for me....But everyone's different. And I just take it powder form w/ water.Here's good info on fiber & how much to take~../supplements/sol_fiber1.aspShe says to give the high dose a week to work for diarrhea("if it doesn't, you should get checked for something other than IBS"), and allow for some gas pains as the body adjusts. I only had discomfort the first 2 days, but didn't mind because I had solid stools!Hope this helps, as much as it did for me,Talissa

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm using Benefiber... metemucil worked ok too, but did cause a little gas.I only take 2 tbs a day at night with my smoothie... I may up it more later. The capsules really don't have much fiber in them. You need to take 6 or more capsules to get 3g of fiber, which isn't much at all.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi TalissaAm interested in your comment that you take 30g fiber daily. I am a 30+year sufferer with ibs.d and started taking Acacia fiber (from ..) almost 18 months ago now and I have settled on approx 16g daily. I have more or less knocked the d. on the head but I often get days when I can't stop going. Unfortunately I am also on numerous drugs for hypertension & diabetes and a lot of those cause gastric problems but I am just wondering whether to up my Acacia? From your experience, what would you think??(I also had camplybacter food poisoning 9 years ago and my ibs has been worse since then and I had many years on anti-biotics due to bad tonsils, when I was younger. The tonsils were removed when I was 26- I am now 53).Many thanks.
Judith

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi Judith,Your experience with antibiotics, and later in life, infection, sure strikes a familiar note with me--unfortunately!I actually got the 30 gram/divided/daily dosing advice from Heather's .. site. The link above. I'd think it wouldn't hurt to try increasing the amount, but its your call. She explains how low our intake & recommended daily fiber intake is in the US(I'm an ex pat currently).Just fyi, there have been some good studies on psyllium(in metamucil & others) for diabetes. Here are 2, but there are others~~CONCLUSIONS: The results obtained indicate a beneficial therapeutic effect of psyllium (Plantaben) in the metabolic control of type 2 diabetics as well as in lowering the risk of coronary heart disease. We also conclude that consumption of this fibre does not adversely affect either mineral or vitamin A and E concentrations. Psyllium decreased serum glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin significantly in diabetic outpatients.They talk about psyllium for diabetes, ibs, and lowering intestinal inflammation in the Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research~http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...462129#continue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.