Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I would like to know a couple of things please. Firstly, my symptoms of IBS seem to bug me more on the left side of my torso and occasionally on the right. Seems to be a non-persistent cramp under my ribs ( feels like both top turns of my colon ) Is this normal or are the pains usually felt throughout your abdomen ? Secondly, had anyone had any luck with fibre, digestive and nutritional supplements ?Thanks Justin

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The area you describe is the "splenic flexure" area and is a common area for IBS pain.There is no set IBS pain pattern, some have specific spots, some all over.All of the following are a "your mileage may vary" with somethings working well for some people and not others.Fiber can help alot of people.Peppermint helps relieve spasms.Probiotics (acidophilus, culturelle, probiotica) can reduce gas.Calcium can ease diarrhea when taken regularlyMagnesium supplements can ease constipation (also a regular thing).Digestive Enzymes can help with post eating "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" bloating.Chlorophyll can help reduce gas odor.Mind-body therapies work well for alot of people ( see www.ibshypnotherapy.com ) and don't have the side effects that even the natural route can have (peppermint can increase heartburn, calcium and magnesium can go to far and cause the opposite problem and calcium can cause bloating, fiber can cause gas and bloating and can make some people with IBS worse).K.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My IBS pain is mostly in the upper left just under the rib cage. I get spasms there, needle like pains, and also stretching pains, feels like my colon is bloated there.Regarding fiber, it doesn't really help me. I'm a C type but it dries me up and makes stool dry, bulker and harder to pass. But most people do have success with fiber, I think there's only a few of us who don't.TH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts