Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI'm newly diagnosed (main symptoms are constipation and bloating), and when the dr told me that I would just have to live with it I couldn't quite believe it.It's very depressing when I think this could affect me for a very long time, there is no clear help, and I'm not really 'sick'. That was my first impression.On a positive note I was already eating better meals before the dignosis, and now I am drinking more water, v little coke, and trying to eat more fruit and veg.After my first trip to the doctor I started working on my diet and this had a positive effect on my constipation, but not on the bloating. A few days of not eating well, and I was back to the beginning, and that's when the dr told me that IBS would be something I would have to live with.That thought is really demotivating.I'm a slim person, and now I've had a v bloated stomach for months. I feel sorry for suffers who are suffering worse symptoms than me.It's taking me a lot of discipline to focus on eating well, and it's taking the enjoyment out of just getting on with life and your body keeping up.As I am newly diagnosed I am quietly optimistic that if I keep pushing forward with a healthy lifestyle and other things I am hearing about that I might get better.I'm making a note of the food I am eating, will have an appointment to see a dietician, and now I'm in "research and implementation phase"I'm really glad this forum is here.1optimist

·
Registered
34 Posts
KNOW what you are saying, I am eliminating food that case bloating , all fibre , and have slacked up on water . feel alot better now. some medications cause it too . Good luck when I mean fibre I am talking about things like Metamucil , citracil , the powdered ones . thay are the worse

·
Registered
473 Posts
Optimist,Try to think back to how it started. Perhaps a stressful period or event?If so, make sure those stressful elements are no longer present.The doctor can't help you anywhere near as much you can help yourself. Begin keeping a daily diary of food eaten and how it affects you. Your body will recover if you figure out what it resents.Cheers,Jackmat

·
Registered
168 Posts
Optimist,Sorry you had to join our club, but happy you are here. I have two pieces of advice to you:1) If at all possible, try to get a new doctor. No doctor should be telling a patient that they have to "live with it," except in situations where the patient really brought the problem on themself (example - a smoker who refuses to quit is complaining about coughing). Being an IBS patient is difficult, but having a good doctor can make all the difference.2) Try to develop a good support system for yourself. One of my biggest regrets regarding my IBS was that I didn't let the people in my life know about it sooner. IBS can be embarassing, but sometimes we make it worse by covering it up.Good luck to you, and if you have any more questions, well, that's what we're here for!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts