Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all these years, I finally have an appointment with a GI doc tomorrow. Most of the drugs used to treat IBS I have a history with -- bad reactions. In fact, most of the drugs used to prep for diagnostic tests do nasty things to me. I long ago eliminated from my diet gluten and fat and high-fiber items and chocolate and coffee and sugar, etc. etc. I've avoided doing the whole testing/ drug/ traditional medicine thing for these reasons. (I did test negative for parasites about five years ago.) Seems like a lot of struggle for no dang reason. But acupuncture, exercise, tapes, naturopathy, Chinese herbal remedies, and changing my life to be less stressful have not made a significant dent. The most useful thing I've done so far, it seems, was to buy fluffy rugs for the bathroom because I spend so much time there.At this point, I'm almost hoping to find out that there is another problem -- IBD, diverticulitis, anything -- which might at least be treatable. I'm scared and grumpy and defiant and a teensy bit hopeful and dragging my feet, all at the same time. I'm a mess, and not a pleasant one to be around.Wish me luck -- or slap me upside the head...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't think you're testy at all. You have managed to keep some sense of humor through the whole process (fluffy rugs-love it!). The fact is the medical field has very little to offer on its own to help IBS. With prodding and begging, people muddle along to find treatments that help. It is very frustrating. Good luck with your next appointment.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't think you're testy at all. You have managed to keep some sense of humor through the whole process (fluffy rugs-love it!). The fact is the medical field has very little to offer on its own to help IBS. With prodding and begging, people muddle along to find treatments that help. It is very frustrating. Good luck with your next appointment.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Tattoo,Wishing you luck for tomorrow. I think we can all relate to your feelings, well, I certainly can. Don't we all hope for a cure or at least a confirmation that we are having something that is seriously weighing down on our social life, aren't we all also still afraid that we might have something really serious? I hope your GI is a kind and wellinformed dr and that he/she will try to get to the bottom of your problem (no pun intended). You probably already have done so, but if not, prepare a list of questions you want to ask, write down the meds you have used and their sideeffects on you. Keeping my fingers crossed for you (and for all of us)Fay

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Tattoo,Wishing you luck for tomorrow. I think we can all relate to your feelings, well, I certainly can. Don't we all hope for a cure or at least a confirmation that we are having something that is seriously weighing down on our social life, aren't we all also still afraid that we might have something really serious? I hope your GI is a kind and wellinformed dr and that he/she will try to get to the bottom of your problem (no pun intended). You probably already have done so, but if not, prepare a list of questions you want to ask, write down the meds you have used and their sideeffects on you. Keeping my fingers crossed for you (and for all of us)Fay

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good luck with your appt tomorrow.I love the fluffy rug thing. Maybe we should all make our bathrooms more like the den, etc. TV, stereo, lots of things. I mostly keeep magazines in mine and an old pair of reading glasses.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good luck with your appt tomorrow.I love the fluffy rug thing. Maybe we should all make our bathrooms more like the den, etc. TV, stereo, lots of things. I mostly keeep magazines in mine and an old pair of reading glasses.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been working through the diagnostic process, the way I see it the tests, especially the really icky ones, make for a great story afterward.
Good for you for indulging in that fluffy rug! Hang in there, get through the tests, they're valuable and what've you got to lose? Even if your tootsies aren't planted on your fluffy rug for great stretches of time after you're better, they'll still appreciate it, the floor will still be cold, you won't have to give it up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been working through the diagnostic process, the way I see it the tests, especially the really icky ones, make for a great story afterward.
Good for you for indulging in that fluffy rug! Hang in there, get through the tests, they're valuable and what've you got to lose? Even if your tootsies aren't planted on your fluffy rug for great stretches of time after you're better, they'll still appreciate it, the floor will still be cold, you won't have to give it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.