Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the following symptoms for the past 6 weeks. Lower abdominal pain in the left side, constipation (I have a bowel movement everyday but it is hard to pass) bowl spasms, feeling full of gas, if I could expel the gas, I feel better. For the most part, I can't expel the gas. I have no blood in my stools, occasionally stringy mucus. I went to two doctors who both told me the same thing. I have IBS. One of the doctors prescribed an antispasm drug (which didn't really help). I have tried fiber which seems to make me more bloated. I recently insisted on going to a gastrologist. He told me that if I was 25 he would send me home because he thinks I have IBS but because I am 41 he said it is better to schedule a colonoscopy. My question is this. Does IBS normally hurt so bad?? I am a nervous wreck thinking I have something terribly wrong.I got to bed at night and sleep fine. I wake up in the morning feeling okay and then after I start eating lunch and by suppertime I am hurting. Anyone help me?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Debby,I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time of it. I know it is hard but if you can, try to think positive. Stress will definitely make you feel worse.From my experience, IBS can affect each individual person differently. Pain, Urgency, bloating, mucus, C or D, gas, all of the above are symptoms that an IBS sufferer may (or may not) experience. I personally have the cramping, D, and urgency. Mornings are especially bad for me. Sometimes the cramping can be severe. Mine generally is not but I know lots of other people on this board have severe cramping. Definitely have the Colonoscopy. It is not bad. The prep before hand is the worst part of the whole procedure in my experience. My aunt just recently had one done and did not have to drink the Golytely. Her doc gave her some strong laxative pills that cleaned her out good. That's what I will ask for if I ever have to do it again.I'll say a prayer for you. I know how you feel.Jleigh

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Debby,I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time of it. I know it is hard but if you can, try to think positive. Stress will definitely make you feel worse.From my experience, IBS can affect each individual person differently. Pain, Urgency, bloating, mucus, C or D, gas, all of the above are symptoms that an IBS sufferer may (or may not) experience. I personally have the cramping, D, and urgency. Mornings are especially bad for me. Sometimes the cramping can be severe. Mine generally is not but I know lots of other people on this board have severe cramping. Definitely have the Colonoscopy. It is not bad. The prep before hand is the worst part of the whole procedure in my experience. My aunt just recently had one done and did not have to drink the Golytely. Her doc gave her some strong laxative pills that cleaned her out good. That's what I will ask for if I ever have to do it again.I'll say a prayer for you. I know how you feel.Jleigh

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:For the most part, I can't expel the gas
If you don't pass gas, then you don't have gas.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:For the most part, I can't expel the gas
If you don't pass gas, then you don't have gas.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Debby,I am glad the colonoscopy has been scheduled. I have always been very uncomfortable about doctors diagnosing ibs without first thoroughly testing to eliminate other reasonable potential causes. Why not also get a biopsy done during the colonoscopy (very easy for the doctor to do but, while many good doctors routinely do it, many others "forget".) Also, have you notified your doctor's office to send you copies of all reports and test results? Carol

·
Registered
249 Posts
Debby,I am glad the colonoscopy has been scheduled. I have always been very uncomfortable about doctors diagnosing ibs without first thoroughly testing to eliminate other reasonable potential causes. Why not also get a biopsy done during the colonoscopy (very easy for the doctor to do but, while many good doctors routinely do it, many others "forget".) Also, have you notified your doctor's office to send you copies of all reports and test results? Carol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts