Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
8,797 Posts
I would agree with you that the gas reduction has atleast partially to do with the gastrocolic reflex because if I eat, I have gas within an hour of eating.( I used to think it had to do with the food I had just eaten until I came to this BB and discovered it was the gastrocolic reflex). So reducing the number of times I eat will reduce the number of times I pass gas. I too discovered this by accident. But what do you mean when you say
quote:it has helped to restore the gastrocolic response
. Do you no longer have the gastrocolic reflex after eating meals. Cos I have been pretty disciplined about eating 2-3 meals a day for over a year and I still invariably get gas after a meal.The other thing about gastrocolic response is even drinks can trigger it. I know for sure milk triggers it. So it might be necessary to cut down on drinks too. However maybe only certain drinks trigger the reflex . I don't know. [This message has been edited by bonniei (edited 07-08-2001).]

· Banned
8,797 Posts
I would agree with you that the gas reduction has atleast partially to do with the gastrocolic reflex because if I eat, I have gas within an hour of eating.( I used to think it had to do with the food I had just eaten until I came to this BB and discovered it was the gastrocolic reflex). So reducing the number of times I eat will reduce the number of times I pass gas. I too discovered this by accident. But what do you mean when you say
quote:it has helped to restore the gastrocolic response
. Do you no longer have the gastrocolic reflex after eating meals. Cos I have been pretty disciplined about eating 2-3 meals a day for over a year and I still invariably get gas after a meal.The other thing about gastrocolic response is even drinks can trigger it. I know for sure milk triggers it. So it might be necessary to cut down on drinks too. However maybe only certain drinks trigger the reflex . I don't know. [This message has been edited by bonniei (edited 07-08-2001).]

· Banned
8,797 Posts
quote:I don't believe that I have less gas as a result of less gastrocolic reflexes.
That is what I thought you meant. Sorry
quote:My best guess is that it has something to do with the amount of enzymes released (less when eating a snack?)
Usualy a snack will have only one or two of the different food groups enzymes work on so I would guess there would be fewer enzymes when a snack is eaten according to the fewer food groups. But I don't see why that would make a difference as enzymes are released as are appropriate.I am surprised eating food faster has also helped in reducing gas as you give less of a chance for the enzymes of the mouth to work on the food. Anyways congrats for succeeding in reducing your gas!
Jennifer 7 I have tested negative for lactose intolerance too. I read in a book that milk triggers the gastrocolic reflex, BTW. Julia37, I think Ugh has addressed the issue well. FYI, seven-up also triggers the gastrocolic response in me and by your definition I am sure that it is not a food. I think one needs to avoid drinks other than water between meals too, to be on the safe side and introduce them carefully only if there is no negative effect[This message has been edited by bonniei (edited 07-09-2001).]

· Banned
8,797 Posts
quote:I don't believe that I have less gas as a result of less gastrocolic reflexes.
That is what I thought you meant. Sorry
quote:My best guess is that it has something to do with the amount of enzymes released (less when eating a snack?)
Usualy a snack will have only one or two of the different food groups enzymes work on so I would guess there would be fewer enzymes when a snack is eaten according to the fewer food groups. But I don't see why that would make a difference as enzymes are released as are appropriate.I am surprised eating food faster has also helped in reducing gas as you give less of a chance for the enzymes of the mouth to work on the food. Anyways congrats for succeeding in reducing your gas!
Jennifer 7 I have tested negative for lactose intolerance too. I read in a book that milk triggers the gastrocolic reflex, BTW. Julia37, I think Ugh has addressed the issue well. FYI, seven-up also triggers the gastrocolic response in me and by your definition I am sure that it is not a food. I think one needs to avoid drinks other than water between meals too, to be on the safe side and introduce them carefully only if there is no negative effect[This message has been edited by bonniei (edited 07-09-2001).]

· Banned
8,797 Posts
quote:The milk thing is more than semantics - milk is thick and rich and doesn't have enough liquid in it to hydrate a person, so it's nutritionally more like a food.
Julia37, this makes me think you perhaps missed the point of the original post altogether. I was not talking about hydrating drinks- my point was beware of liquidy, drinkable items in between meals not just solid snacks[This message has been edited by bonniei (edited 07-10-2001).]

· Banned
8,797 Posts
quote:The milk thing is more than semantics - milk is thick and rich and doesn't have enough liquid in it to hydrate a person, so it's nutritionally more like a food.
Julia37, this makes me think you perhaps missed the point of the original post altogether. I was not talking about hydrating drinks- my point was beware of liquidy, drinkable items in between meals not just solid snacks[This message has been edited by bonniei (edited 07-10-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.