Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this since it has greatly reduced my gas. What I did is I started eating 3 or 4 meals a day with absolutely NO snacking. I also tended to eat pretty slow, and now I eat each meal in under 15 minutes. I'm not sure yet if the eating quicker or no snacks is reducing the gas, or both (two variables, oh well). I'd guess it's mostly the fact that I stopped eating a lot of snacks. I believe this also helps restore the gastrocolic reflex somewhat. I think IBS people tend to have an over-reaction of this reflex. I think that snacks probably cause problems just by constantly triggering it. By eating only 3 or 4 meals, my guess is you reduce these. Just a theory.As for the gas reduction, I really have no idea why not eating snacks would produce such a big change in gas production. I've also made sure during this "experiment" that I was eating at least as much as I usually do, and eating gas producing foods (in fact I probably am eating more now). I've gone from around 50 farts a day to around 20 most days. Maybe the gastrocolic reflex also brings things out of the small intestine quicker (less enzyme breakdown, hence more gas)? I don't know. Could also be that meals stimulate more enzyme production, therefore the food gets broken down better. Anyway, if you have a lot of gas you might want to try this since there ain't much to it. [This message has been edited by Ugh (edited 07-08-2001).]

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bonniei, I didn't mean to say I think I have less gas now because of the gastrocolic reflex. I don't know if it affects the small intestine, so that was just me wondering out loud. I don't believe that I have less gas as a result of less gastrocolic reflexes. What I mean is I don't think less peristalsis in the colon and so less gas is pushed out is why I have less gas. I know some gas can be absorbed if it isn't expelled, but I don't think the difference in my case could be by absorbtion alone. My best guess is that it has something to do with the amount of enzymes released (less when eating a snack?), but I really don't know.As or the restoration of the reflex...what I mean is I usually don't have the normal defecation part of the reflex after a meal. It seems like not eating snacks has increased that part of the reflex when in fact I do eat. Again, this is just my feeling. The only thing I can be certian of is that it has reduced my gas greatly. Jenifer7, I've tested negative for lactose intolerance. I should mention that I only drink water between meals, which may or may not affect it, but I would think it would with milk. As for milk being a food or a drink... I'm not sure why the semantics matter, since I'm treating anything that isn't water as something that has to be eaten with the 3 meals. [This message has been edited by Ugh (edited 07-09-2001).]

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bonniei, I didn't mean to say I think I have less gas now because of the gastrocolic reflex. I don't know if it affects the small intestine, so that was just me wondering out loud. I don't believe that I have less gas as a result of less gastrocolic reflexes. What I mean is I don't think less peristalsis in the colon and so less gas is pushed out is why I have less gas. I know some gas can be absorbed if it isn't expelled, but I don't think the difference in my case could be by absorbtion alone. My best guess is that it has something to do with the amount of enzymes released (less when eating a snack?), but I really don't know.As or the restoration of the reflex...what I mean is I usually don't have the normal defecation part of the reflex after a meal. It seems like not eating snacks has increased that part of the reflex when in fact I do eat. Again, this is just my feeling. The only thing I can be certian of is that it has reduced my gas greatly. Jenifer7, I've tested negative for lactose intolerance. I should mention that I only drink water between meals, which may or may not affect it, but I would think it would with milk. As for milk being a food or a drink... I'm not sure why the semantics matter, since I'm treating anything that isn't water as something that has to be eaten with the 3 meals. [This message has been edited by Ugh (edited 07-09-2001).]

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I hope the test was accurate, it was a real pain to take. Julia, I've tested it in an elimination diet anyway, so I don't believe I'm lactose intolerant.
quote:What you were eating for snacks may also play a role.
I made sure I ate exactly the same thing with the only variable being the way I ate it. I eat healthy, and by snack I just meant a food I would normally eat in a meal that was being alone. You may be right Kmottus about it having something to do with a starch being combined with something, I really have no idea, and no real way of knowing why it works for me. It's funny actually, becuase I took tetracycline and my gas was reduced, so I thought it was because of the antibiotic (and part of it probably was). But, clearly a major factor was that the instructions for taking tetracycline forced me to eat big meals with no snacking many hours apart. It never occured to me that something like this could affect gas. In fact, I always had read that with IBS it's better to space out meals, eat more meals, etc...so that's partly why I ate so many snacks.Kmottus, one thing that I've thought about is your comments in another thread concerning gas being absorbed. One theory would be that by not snacking, I reduce the amount of peristalsis and therefore the gas expelled. So, the gas just gets absorbed. The problem I have with that is it would mean a large amount of gas is being absorbed. Do you know how much is absorbed usually? Have you read anything about that? I'd be curious, because presumably it wouldn't be very hard to see how well humans absorb gas (just put some air in there and see how much comes out).

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I hope the test was accurate, it was a real pain to take. Julia, I've tested it in an elimination diet anyway, so I don't believe I'm lactose intolerant.
quote:What you were eating for snacks may also play a role.
I made sure I ate exactly the same thing with the only variable being the way I ate it. I eat healthy, and by snack I just meant a food I would normally eat in a meal that was being alone. You may be right Kmottus about it having something to do with a starch being combined with something, I really have no idea, and no real way of knowing why it works for me. It's funny actually, becuase I took tetracycline and my gas was reduced, so I thought it was because of the antibiotic (and part of it probably was). But, clearly a major factor was that the instructions for taking tetracycline forced me to eat big meals with no snacking many hours apart. It never occured to me that something like this could affect gas. In fact, I always had read that with IBS it's better to space out meals, eat more meals, etc...so that's partly why I ate so many snacks.Kmottus, one thing that I've thought about is your comments in another thread concerning gas being absorbed. One theory would be that by not snacking, I reduce the amount of peristalsis and therefore the gas expelled. So, the gas just gets absorbed. The problem I have with that is it would mean a large amount of gas is being absorbed. Do you know how much is absorbed usually? Have you read anything about that? I'd be curious, because presumably it wouldn't be very hard to see how well humans absorb gas (just put some air in there and see how much comes out).

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the info flux! It seems that my reduction is most likely from something other than absorption. Especially because my transit time if anything is on the fast side. You did mention that gas movement is independent of stool movement, although I would think having faster stool movement than average would point towards above average gas movement.Flux or Kmottus, is there any medical condition (gastric emptying stuff, etc) that you can think of that would cause such a dramatic decrease in gas by just putting all food eaten into three short meals? I'm astonished that my gas has gone to under 20 by doing this.

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the info flux! It seems that my reduction is most likely from something other than absorption. Especially because my transit time if anything is on the fast side. You did mention that gas movement is independent of stool movement, although I would think having faster stool movement than average would point towards above average gas movement.Flux or Kmottus, is there any medical condition (gastric emptying stuff, etc) that you can think of that would cause such a dramatic decrease in gas by just putting all food eaten into three short meals? I'm astonished that my gas has gone to under 20 by doing this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.