Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,435 Posts
The milk thing is more than semantics - milk is thick and rich and doesn't have enough liquid in it to hydrate a person, so it's nutritionally more like a food. Good that you're drinking water between meals.The lactose intolerance test isn't very accurate. I saw on this board that people who've tested positive are able to tolerate a whole glass of milk with no symptoms - this makes me doubt the accuracy of the test. A better way to tell is to avoid dairy for at least 2 weeks and see if your symptoms improve. That's the test my doctor used on me, and it worked.
Also, dairy isn't meant for people, it's meant for baby cows, and I think the less dairy you eat the better, intolerant or not. It's surprisingly easy to give up.

· Registered
1,435 Posts
The milk thing is more than semantics - milk is thick and rich and doesn't have enough liquid in it to hydrate a person, so it's nutritionally more like a food. Good that you're drinking water between meals.The lactose intolerance test isn't very accurate. I saw on this board that people who've tested positive are able to tolerate a whole glass of milk with no symptoms - this makes me doubt the accuracy of the test. A better way to tell is to avoid dairy for at least 2 weeks and see if your symptoms improve. That's the test my doctor used on me, and it worked.
Also, dairy isn't meant for people, it's meant for baby cows, and I think the less dairy you eat the better, intolerant or not. It's surprisingly easy to give up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.