Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I can't imagine how a tiny amount of sorbitol in your nose is getting to the colon or causing large volumes of gas.People aren't allergic to sorbitol so it isn't one that the longer it is there the worse it is.The reaction to sorbitol is in the colon where it gets turned into gas and can pull water into the colon. One molecule of sorbitol can only do so much. It isn't where one molecule cause hundreds of other reactions. It forms a couple of molecules of gas or holds and extra molecule or two of water in the stool.If anything it should make you less constipated, not way more constipated.The breathing problems at night can be enough to set off IBS issues. Also if you have any allergies to pollen the last couple weeks (at least here) have been horrendous for pollen counts and that could be messing you up all by itself. I'd be more likely to wonder if you react to the drug part, rather than the inert ingredients part (and usually even the highest amount of the inert ingredients is much less than the active, they are two different lists. And like I said with as bad as the pollen has been around here this year everyone, even ones on good allergy control, and even people without allergies, all seem to have problems just from the amount of junk in the air.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you aren't breathing at night, the physical stress of the lack of sleep will make every other health issue worse.There can be some direct link between allergies and the GI tract as histamine is active in both and it doesn't necessarily stay put in the nose.Allergies and even irrigation from just too much pollen in the air (like when there is too much dust or smoke in the air) can make it much harder to breath when you are sleeping. Although it can make it hard any time of day, when you have problems to start with, it really won't help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.