Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I used the search option and i'm thinking of giving magnesium oxide a try (the pill form..) because I hear it's much easier on the body than milk of magnesia.Anyway so i'm going to give both a try, but I do have a question. I've read on here..that some use MOM, a tablespoon every night and they're super happy with the results...some have reported their doctors said it's safe long term..some have not, and some websites say that you will become dependant on them.Basically, i'm doing all sorts of fibers..metamucel/citrucel/benefiber and they all are not working
right now i'm trying to mix miralax with the fiber combinations. But i've read on sites and even here that lots of people rave about magnesium so i'll give the supplements a try and then go to milk of magnesium.What have your doctors told you on the long term effects of being on MOM?Thanks!Matthew*sick of IBS-C..out of work pilot..

·
Registered
146 Posts
The general rule of thought, is don't use laxatives regularly unless you have to. And the least amount the better. As you can get dependent on them, or they can damage your bowels.Mirilax, is the most recommended, and probably the safest. The worst and most destructive, are suppose to be stimulant laxatives, like ex lax.I use both MOM and miralax everyday in large doses. 4 to 6 table spoons MOM and 6 doses of miralax.I've tried to use less MOM and less miralax. But doing either gets limited amount of stool daily, or have to wait days to have a BM/sThe dose I'm taking generally produces gravelly or mushy stools with some brownish liquid. I have problems urinating, when I get backed up so I don't really have a choice in taking the larger doses presently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first time posting--hope I'm doing this right.It sounds like you've been having a tough time! I've heard the same as sirjohn--the physicians I've talked to have said that MOM and Miralax are the most gentle and non-habituating laxatives out there, although I don't think MOM is particularly gentle. Regardless I don't think you should be concerned about the safety short-term or long-term for either of these. Stool softeners are safe, too.I found that if I'm very backed up, MOM and Miralax aren't effective for me. They just give me more pain and bloating and no output. Miralax seems pretty good for maintenance when your situation isn't dire. When I'm in a lot of pain and nothing is moving I take daily: dulcolax + benefiber +flaxmeal + colace + prunes + lots of water.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally the osmotics tend to be fairly low on long term consequences.My only concern with MOM is that if your kidneys are a little disfunctional you may not clear the magnesium as efficiently as you should and if you are taking a lot of Magnesium (usually they recommend 1000 mgs a day or less for regular use) that can eventually upset things like your heart rhythm.The constipated should usually make sure they drink lots of water, but if you are doing a pretty high dose of magnesium I would make sure you do that just to keep things easier on the kidneys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone
Turns out i'm doing much much better, this has been going on for years and miralax did help a little (made me feel more sick honestly..) but turns out soon as I took gluten and dairy out I've been pretty much normal...(now if I could just fix the IBS pains/stomach pains/anxiety/Insomnia...my blood test for celiac was negative but I'm thinking I might be
)Anyway, thanks for the help.. I just get scared when you become dependent on something..and cause other problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.