Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after the manic phase of seeing hope for my treatment, I am coming back to reality. I have set the wheels in motion to see Dr Pimentel. I m corresponding with him. And then this evening I was discussing with my husband and when he heard of the possibility of me being on antibiotics for a lifetime, he asked me if I really wanted to develop a resistance to antibiotics and not have them work for me if I really needed them. He thinks I am too concerned about passing gas. He says he does it all the time(side effect of Lipitor). I have some cholesterol problems but I am resisting going on it because of the side effect but he said he would really like me to be on Lipitor because bad cholesterol could become life threatening. And all this made me think I was making a mountain out of molehill. Big deal if I pass gas. And is it really worth it to be on medication for a lifetimes when Gas X and Pepto do the trick, I really don't know what the next step is going to be.? The other thing is I have to fly to California for the treatment. All that cost! I really need to talk this through. even the act of writing this post is helping me. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
359 Posts
My daughter's mother-in-law in the hospital on life support fighting for her life since Sunday because she thought she had the flu. When it didn't get better, the Doctor determined it was a staph infection which has now destroyed a heart valve, is causing her to need dialysis, and has also attacked her brain. She is fighting for her life now and they are using heavy duty antibiotics. Where would she be if she were resistant to them?

·
Registered
482 Posts
i would advise against antibiotics until you need them for infection, or you do rn the risk if resistnace. i mean there are already resistnat strains but they will find something that gets them. have you tried a culture treatment like acidilphilous (sp?) cant ever spell it!! you keep them in the fridge, im going to try them when my abcess is cleared up, i needed antis for that as it was septic and im glad i dont take them often =)manuka honey level 15+ is also good for most people, well so im told but cant say it did much for me but i didnt give it much chance... homey is one of the oldest healers so you could try that too if you want... i would try that acidilphilous first you can get pectin free ones i have them... there £15 for 120caps... not sure how much in the states but who knows they may work wonders
good luck adn i hope you make the right choice
bonnei have you tried colpermin peppermint oil caps? O yeah sorry to ramble on i came accross acid. a few years back when my nan had a lot of trouble with wind, every time she moved she farted, i mean we thoght it was funny but she was embarrassed in public... i got her sme of these acid things and in a few weeks the was a difference after the 120caps it had gone adn she now only buys them when the wind comes back... as theres expensive adn she can live without them alot of the time... i get them from holland and barratt, not sure if there over there but any health shop should sell them, keep them in the firdge tho as there live cultures and cool only slows them down whereas heat will denauted adn damage them

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd be leary of a life time on antibiotics. I even read today's local paper discussing a few local schools with staph infections and the county jail has a major problem. Then another school has a class with a few menengitis students now having to take cyprio (sp?).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Bonniel- IMO if the only bothersome IBS symptom you have is passing gas it wouldnt seem worth it to do long term antib's to stop the gas but possibly cause other problems like resistence, possibly developing an allergy to them. etc. I used to run to the dr for ceftin everytime I had a cold to prevent/head off a sinus infection. Ceftin agreed w/me, I never had GI side effects from it. However the last time I took it (yrs ago) I developed hives, swelling and a swollen throat, in other words an allergic reaction. Since this happened to me I cant take any antibiotic in the same class (cephalasporin), nor penicillin drugs cause there is the chance of cross sensitivity.Now I wonder if I REALLY had sinus infections each time, perhaps I did not.I know I've said before and we dont agree (which is fine) that antib's are/can be a trigger for IBS to flare. Though you report good results its possible that in time w/chronic use they could do this to you too. Just curious if you have ever tried a low dose tyrcyclic antidepressant like elavil. Reason I ask is that it was/is prescribed for me for IBS pain. It helped/helps cut down on the episodes of pain that I have and also has cut down on the amount of gas I have. Just something to think about.What ever you deceide to do I'm sure you will have thought long and hard about it. Just keep in mind that its your body and your choice, whatever you choose to do.Also a product that helped me w/gas was/is GNC's multi-enzyme formula. My gastro gave me a list of digestive enzymes and had me look for a product that contained most of them. I dont need them as much w/elavil.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thanks so much for your thoughts. slm, gosh that's a scary story.Thank you Popp, I know sometimes I feel like I have to decide now. My husband hgas gone out of town and I can't wait for him to get back to discusss it with him.Lateandtink, Rifaximin is supposed to have a good profile for resistance but I'll bet if a lot of people take it I bet they will cause resistant strains to that too. And yes I don't know why I don't try probiotics seriously. vsl3 worked for me but it was too expensice. But if I have to antibiotics as well as Zelnorm I wouldn't be too surprised the out of pocket expenses add up to that. And I have a bottle of PB8. I think I will give it a good trial. thanks for reminding me of that!Zigzag believe I am leary for all the factors mentioned on this thread. I am thinking C-difficile would be the worst.Nancy I never thought of allergies. I am already allergic to sulfa. I suppose I don't want to have to rule out another whole class of antibiotics altogether. And there is the risk of triggering IBS too. Touch wood so far I don't have problems with pain etc, just gas and diarhrhea but both are within control with fructose restriction and the occasional Pepto. As for psyhiatric meds I can't take anything else because after a lot of trial and error I found a mix which is just right for mty mental problems, Don't want to upset the balance. I'll loook out for the multienzyme formula. I guess there are all these easier routes to try, probiotics and enzymes. My test is scheduled for the 1st of Nov. I think I will try both of them till then and give them a good shot. I think I am leaning towards not taking antibiotics for the rest of my life. I was thinking if I had to take antibiotics twice a year i.e the relpse could be put off by six months and Zelnorm in between I wouldn't have minded taking them but no one knows how long it is going to take for a relapse. I think I will discuss this with a doc just so that I have all the info in front of me when I make my final decision.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I don't think I would want to go on antibiotics for life even if it did work. Eventually it will stop working, I am sure.But having used them for infections and knowing how much these sinuses headaches etc. hurt. I think I will just fart away
, stay home a lot
and let people say what they want. It is not like I want to smell bad. Bonnie, as much as you travel I can't believe that your LG is that offensive. I mean the last time I flew on a plane people were asking where that smell was coming from ? The steward ask my husband, and he shrugged & said, "I don't know." bless his
He knew.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
What about a course and fly over India and land in Australia to get the HP infusion
I know a guy cured of UC who has been infused.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Levitt didn't recommand life-long Pepto.See my post on pain/bloat.If Gas-X works,good for you Bonnei.Is it Simethicone?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi Bonniei,Remember how restrictive your diet is? Imagine if antibiotics allowed you to eat more"normally" wouldnt that take a weight off your mind?If I lived in U.S. I would try to see if Pimental could order tests that you could get done at home and treat you "from afar".May as well give it a go.If we wait until these things are more accepted practice we could be waiting years.Good Luck Gilly

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi gilly when I am at home I eat whatever I want because my husband doesn't care about my symptoms. It is only when I go out. And yes I don't socialize much and nor am I actively seeking a job(I have been jobless for about two years) because I always have my symptoms as an excuse. When I told my husband that that is one reason I am not looking for a job, he was almost on his way out to Australia(hey Australia) so he said we would discuss it more thoroughly when he came back
So yes that is one of the factors- the restrictive diet. As for Pimentel, he said that there were some docs in Chicago practicing his protocol and that is like a four hour drive from here. So yes that does make it more attractive. I think my husband and I will have a good discusision about why I am not applying for a job. It is a major factor though I am quite happy sitting at home and doinfg research in Math and writing papers.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi, Bonniei. I must have missed something. Where is the reference about having to be be on antibiotics for life? I really do avoid a/bs as much as possible, but still hope to do the rifaximin some time.As for cholesterol, flaxseed oil is reputed to be good for lowering levels and is, of course, meant to be good for C too. I spoke with a friend of my mother's recently and she thanked me for recommending the flaxseed to her. I had forgotten that I had ever mentioned it to her. She was excited that the doctor had asked what she had done because her latest test had showed an impprovement in her readings. The only change she had made was taking flaxseed capsules. I take the oil, mixed with rice and canned tuna.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Arnie, the problem in SIBO in IS'ers seems to be because the housekeeper waves((Phase III MMCs) are not functioning as they should to flush out the bacteria. With the resulyt that when you kill the overgrowth for a while it is ok and then they don't get flushed out and overgrow. To delay that motility agents like Zelnorm or erythromycin are supposed to help but it is noot a perfect solution and sooner or later they overgrown which means you have to start the treatment cycle again. You will be doing this for the rest of your life! Unless they come up with some other cure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.