Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't already done so you might want to monitor any soy intake with your bowel habits. I've found it to be one of the worst. Even supplement capsules that are soy have a major impact on me.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
All beans and legumes have indigestible sugars in them.Soy beans are not in any way an exception to that rule.You can when cooking beans at home reduce the indigestible sugars by boiling them for a couple of minutes in plenty of water than letting that soak over night. Then drain off the water so most of these sugars go down the drain and then cook them in fresh water. Most canned beans or anything made with soy didn't go through that soak.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Soy beans are in the legume family. And anything with soy as an ingredient would havethe capacity to have the same impact on a person as soy beans.

·
Registered
311 Posts
here's what a lot of people don't know about soy.........all those estrogens in them r one of the worst things ever to come to the produced food industry.........alot of companies make alot of money, giving something that's suppose to be "HEALTHY FOOD".........here's what i know.........excess estrogen unwinds the mylin around nerves........this can cause a whole host of health issues........ nerves help to control the intestinal walls, just to name one.........without enough progesterone to control the actions of too much estrogen, it runs amok..........also, what was interesting to me, was soy roots were used originally, not the beans..........the roots r much better for u.........but they can get alot more beans from one plant & only one set of roots per plant.....not as much money to b made..........beware of fads titled how good they r for u, u can b sure someone is making alot of money at the consuming public' expense......

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I found soy very useful during the last couple of years I was dealing with this. It may have caused excess gas but at least it didn't have the immediate bowel effects I used to get from milk and meat products. Like most things discussed here, it was a stop gap measure until I found something to really treat my problem. Once that had occurred soy has almost completely disappeared from my diet, other than infrequent tofu. If it is your trigger it is pretty easy to avoid it, as long as you keep a lookout for Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, which seems to contain a fair amount of MSG. (http://www.soyinfo.com/soydefs.shtml) If you expect to use it long term, then you ought to look into what crstar has to say. Mark

·
Registered
414 Posts
Actually I agree with Mark. I don't know what I would have done without Soya Milk etc.. as I was finding milk was making things so much worse. It was really helpful to be able to stop the milk and still have a cup of tea or a bowl of cereal. I have heard about the estrogen side effect though and I am thinking it might be time to re introduce some milk back into my diet. I'm getting terrible spots which at 31 I thought I might have got past by now. It was suggested that it could be the soya milk causing estrogen overload. However over the last few years when I was trying to elimate different food groups it was really useful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts