Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! I read Kamie's post about eliminating soy from her diet and was SHOCKED! Maybe soy is causing me problems!!!! I have been substituting boxed soy milk for cow's milk for a few years, as I love the taste of milk, love to have it alone or with cereal, etc., and found I just cannot digest cow's--gives me gas...but here is a revelation that MAYBE soy is an allegen to me as well! About 10 years ago, my nutritionist told me if I was going to have any protein powder drinks, to buy one WITHOUT SOY because to him, soy was a no-no, only a problem causer. Well, I had a hard enough time giving up dairy milk, so I was in no way going to listen to his advice when I decided to switch to soy milk for my cereal, etc. It's been a few years now, and I have been constipated all my life, with no real relief ....This morning I have had 2 bowls of cereal with soy milk on top, and now, what do i feel, but lightheaded and dizzy.....like I need to lie down and take a nap. Also kind of numb in my extremities. Is it just that I am home today and have I been having these symptoms all along, but ignoring them in my busy life? Anyone with info on a link where I can do more reading about soy and it's ill effects---please let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi Cordelia,I didn't realize the many claimed dangers of soy, with the exception of what Kamie said about it being a Phytoestrogen(sp?). When I did a search on the dangers of soy, the article I am giving you a link to came up on many of the sites...I found it interesting, and a bit scary. I'm glad I can't tolerate soy now!
http://www.truthaboutsoy.com/cinderella.htm#panacea

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I_H8_IBS----Why can't you tolerate soy?As far as it being a phytoestrogen---that, I thought, was the GOOD thing about soy---it helps people in menopause because it is like estrogen...someone correct me if I am wrong. I will check out that article. thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just finished reading the soy article. Wow. I'm disappointed and a little upset. Thanks again for posting that article.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
In October 1999 the FDA approved the use of health claims regarding the role of Soy Protein in reducing the risk of Coronary Heart Disease.This ruling was based on the claims that foods containing Soy Protein included in a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of Cornonary Heart Disease by lowering blood cholesterol levels.Foods that used the claim had to meet the criteria for low fat, low saturated fat and low cholesterol.An exception was made for foods made with the whole soybean if there were no additional fats.The FDA also issued a change in it's ruling that products containing at least 6.25 grams of Soy Protein per serving could make the health claim on labeling.______________________________At the 2002 Soy Symposium,Sponsored by the United Soybean Board (USB) and the Soyfoods Association of North America (SANA), The following soy problem was addressed in a program called:Allergenicity Analysis - The Myth, The Reality, The Cure" Soy has been identified as one of eight major allergens on what could be called "The List of Eight." This session provides an intriguingdiscussion about the list and perception and reality of soy allergenicity. Consumer attitudes about allergenicity and an industry perspective on labeling will also be explored. Clare Hasler, Ph.D., University of Illinois________________________________________Symptoms of Soy AllergyThe reported symptoms of soy bean allergy include: acne, angioedema, rhinitis, anaphylaxis, asthma, atopic dermatitis, bronchospasm, cankers, colitis, conjunctivitis, diarrhea, diffuse small bowel disease, dyspnea, eczema, enterocolitis, fever, hypotension, itching, laryngeal edema, lethargy, pollinosis, urticaria, vomiting, and wheezing. http://allergies.about.com/library/weekly/aa061499.htm _____________________________________New studies have raised questions over whether the natural ingredients in soy might increase the risk of breast cancer in some women, affect brain function in men and lead to hidden developmental abnormalities in infants. http://abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_0006...oy_feature.html Researchers Daniel Doerge and Daniel Sheehan, two of the Food and Drug Administration's experts on soy, signed a letter of protest, which points to studies that show a link between soy and health problems in certain animals. The two say they tried in vain to stop the FDA approval of soy because it could be misinterpreted as a broader general endorsement beyond benefits for the heart. The text of the letter follows http://abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_0006...er_feature.html And so the debate grows.Kamie

·
Registered
927 Posts
If i stay away from soy and dairy I am fine..no IBS symptoms, no fatigue and/or headaches. The theory I have for me being sensitive to soy is that it is in everything in one form or another. Also, I tend to be a picky eater and when I find something like, I tend to eat it all the time. That is one reason people become intolerent to things. That's why many times if you give up something that gives you problems you may be able to eat it in small quantities once in a while. I was eating LUNA bars all the time. They are chock full o'soy. Then when I gave up dairy, I found out they are dairy-free, so I started eating them again. Between that and the soymilk, they brought it all back. Kari

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Can anybody point me to the original messageposted by Kamie? I couldn't find it within thelast 50 msgs posted by Kamie. I'm curious to knowabt the experience of others wrt Soy milk, as Imyself have some suspicion but not been able tocome to a definite conclusion.-Thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
Try rice milk. Ist thing given babies if I remember correctly, is rice cereal. Least allergenic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts