Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally when I get spasms its after eating dinner and will usually be followed by an episode of D. Once in a while I will get spasms in the middle of the day and not apparently releated to eating. In these cases the cramps and spasms are present, but D does not usually follow. The next day though I will have a BM that is smaller and boulder like. Is it part of IBS when the spasms are not apparently triggered by eating?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Randie, I think the answer is yes. When you get the spasms that are not related to eating, take note of what you're doing and thinking at that time. For example, last Friday I went to a doctors appointment and when I parked my car, I thought I forgot my my medical folder, and all of a sudden it felt like these four-pronged hooks all grabbed my colon in about 6 different places. I tightened up, and then saw that I didn't forget it, and then I relaxed. Is the spasm pain you get similar to that? ------------------TH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The few times I've had spasm attacks not related to eating, there was some high stress but not always just right before the attack. Several hours before it actually. And the attack lasted (on but mostly off) for an hour or two. Not just a few minuted like you describe.One case in particular, I was under intense stress at work for most of the day (computer programming problems that HAD to be fixed). My stomach did not bother me. I went home and ate. No problem. But 4 hours after eating I has intense spasms on my right side. No D. and going to bed caused them to fairly quickly cease. But don't know if the stress trigger can be delayed like that.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Stress-related symptoms, I believe, can come after the stressful incident is over. I sometimes will get migraines (which stress can trigger) only after the thing that was stressful is over.Kinda like I'm too stressed to have time to be stressed but the stress builds up and once I start to relax then they stress-related symptoms I've been holding at bay show up.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You know, if you are getting new pains not related to eating then maybe it is time to go back to the Dr. Anytime you get a new symptom or things get worse it is a good idea to talk to your Dr about it.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Randie I've experienced what you described to a "T". It is like all of a sudden I think I'm minding my own business & WHAM! PAIN. I've had the fleeting pain up to two hours after eating (ahem Post-parandially
)However, there are times when it just comes out of the blue, for no apparent reason & it isn't followed by a run to the can either. I've had way less of these kinds of spasms since I began the hypno therapy. That might be something you could check out.But I know exactly what you mean. I've been checked 6 ways to Sunday & it IS just IBS BTW. I wouldn't concern yourself about cancer or the like if Doc says your clean from the last colonoscopy. That kinda thinking is a BOZONONO for me. It can Bring On a pain attack. I've learned there are times when I just gotta trust the Doc & test results. Plus I've read here, many times cause lots of us have those concerns, that by the time one feels pain from colon cancer, it is far advanced & would have been caught on previous colonoscopies. If your symptoms change dramatically of course Call the Doc. But I know what you mean. Something that hurts that bad seems like it should be something life-threatening But Thank God it isn't. I have learned to tell myself "Its just IBS, so worry not!" Hope this helps.
BQ

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks BQ & Eric. That is a great link eric, I've always believed that I feel everthing in the gut. Used to wonder if over the years it would bring on an ulcer (which we now know is not how ulcers form). Never get headaches but a little stress and excitement and it would transfer to the abdomen. Not as pain, just as tingling or an awareness or very soft spasms.And BQ, its true I have a fear of pain and spasms and tend to always be anticipating them. My pain has never been severe, but I do tend to focus and think about it more than I should.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
This came out about a year ago, but they are studying this in more depth.ClinicalCentral fear circuits less activated in IBS patientsSAN DIEGO, CA, May 22 (Reuters Health) - The threat of visceral discomfort appears to evokean emotional rather than fearful response in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS),researchers report at the annual Digestive Disease Week meetings held here.Dr. Bruce D. Naliboff, of UCLA Medical Center, in Los Angeles, with colleagues there and atUC Irvine Medical Center, performed a PET study of 12 IBS patients and 12 controls to examinethe brain response associated with the fear of anticipated visceral discomfort.Brain scans were obtained on all subjects at baseline, during moderate rectal distension andduring expected but undelivered noxious distension. "Although we know that IBS is exacerbatedby stress, we conducted this study to learn more about the connection between the disease andbrain function," Dr. Naliboff said in an interview with Reuters Health.Brain scans showed that controls had "greater baseline activity in mid anterior cingulate cortex(ACC), and greater activation in the perigenual mid ACC, lateral prefrontal cortex, thalamus,periaqueductal grey and medullary regions" than did IBS patients.During visceral stimulation, "IBS patients showed greater activation in mid anterior cingulatecortex as well as posterior cingulate," compared with controls, the researchers note.They found that expected but undelivered rectal discomfort activated the central fear circuits inthe controls. IBS patients showed "less activation of the fear circuits but greater activity inposterior cingulate cortex.""Our findings indicate that the parts of the brain that respond in IBS patients are the same parts ofthe brain involved in processing emotionally charged information," Dr. Naliboff said. "Thesedata give us a better understanding of this stress-related disorder and may provide informationabout potential new medication targets," he explained."This brain imaging study is one of a series examining IBS, dyspepsia and fibromyalgia," Dr.Naliboff added.-Westport Newsroom 203 319 2700------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Randie, LOL! Anticipating pain!!! Yep been there. Now there are times when anticipating pain is absolutely healthy, ya know like "If I plop this hand down on that stove burner, Itsa gunna hurta!!!" However, anticipating spasms after every meal is probably NOT that healthy. Could become the old self-fulfilling prophecy
. Try to expect NO PAIN see what happens. Let us know, I'd be interested in how you make out. Be patient with your self, old habits die hard
(Only speaking from experience of course
)The only time I wanted to smack somebody when they said "Stop it, you're anticipating the pain", was when I was post-op less than 24 hours after Gall Bladder surgery. I had an extended lap. Couple spots on my ab had a couple staples in each. Fun. I was attempting to get out of bed & the nurse (Miss Personality Plus Type) said that to me. I felt like "Hey Honey, you wanna try this????" Pahleeze! I was sore & trying to "fake out" my brain & tell myself that it wasn't gonna hurt, in my book was BS. But maybe I'm wrong, but it was a bit much to expect from me, I thought at that time & still do. There was an organic trauma of sorts, the surgery, & I think pain is part of it. But eating shouldn't be an organic trauma
.Try thinking that you won't have spasms after eating & let us know how you do. Hope this helps. BQ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.