Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is IBS the same thing as spastic colon? ------------------" Is the truth really out there? "

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been told by one doctor that I have spastic colon and by another that I have IBS. Sometimes I feel that most doctors have no clue what to say when you make camplains with symtoms such as stomach pain. I have also been told at one point that I had an infection in my ovary. I know now that was not the case since my symptoms were that same as now. I wish that doctors were more educated on this subject and took it more seriously.

·
Registered
613 Posts
sleepingb, I think they are both the same thing, about 15 years ago a doctor told me a had a spastic colon, about 6 years ago I was told I had IBS, this doctor said the term spastic colon was just an old name for IBS.sickofsick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response. I was just at the Dr.s office today, and I asked her is IBS a real thing, She said yes, but has found while working with IBS at U.C.L.A. that many differant things can cause it, and the key is to find out what is causing it.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Spastic colon was an old name for IBS. Nowadays, it is believed IBS has a lot more do with "spastic" pain nerves than with a "spastic" colon.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yep, flux hit it on the head. My tests showed lots of spasm's in stomach and colon. Also, the article I put on here "Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain" describes the nerve pain also. Combo of things for sure, most complex as we are discovering...

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
What tests showed this? Chronic functional abdominal pain does not involve gut motility. IBS seems to affect gut motility in some way (e.g, diarrhea/constipation), but the primary disorder seems to be similar to what is happening in CFAP.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As some others on this thread have mentioned, yes, "spastic colon" was the "old" name for IBS. And even before that, it was often called "nervous stomach" by some.Given this "history" of colloquial lingo for the syndrome, I would not consider a doctor who used the term "spastic colon" to refer to the problem as one who had kept up to date on the condition - in other words, if I saw a doctor who said I had "spastic colon", I'd probably thank him for his time, leave, and find another. Likewise (and leaving even quicker) for one who told me I had "nervous stomach".I really do think that the use of those terms is a strong indicator that the doctor is out of touch with the developments in treatments and diagnosis of this curse over the past decade.BJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts