Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet". I've been reading the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle", I understand which foods are good and which are bad, but I'm still not sure which foods to start off with? It's hard to think of life without all that sugar, but I'm ready to try anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have tried the diet for the past couple weeks, and it seems to have some positive benefits like less gas in the intestines. However, it has not eliminated the bloat feeling in my stomach after meals nor the strong spasms I feel in my whole digestive tract. Another positive about this diet is that it will keep you lean due to the fact that your body is in ketosis most of the time, like in the Atkins diet. The downside of this though is the lowered levels of serotonin in your bloodstream, which could cause more anxiety. That's why I am not 100% convinced that this diet is good for IBS. The diet also makes soluble fiber harder to obtain due to not being allowed to have any grains. In conclusion, the diet may be good if either you have a serious intestinal gas problem, want to make positive changes in your physical appearance, or have inflammatory bowel disease. The downside is it may work against you if anxiety is a major trigger for symptoms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.