Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any USA residents in this discussion room qualified or tried to qualify for Social Security Disability payments because their IBS has prevented them from holding a decent job? I'd appreciate any info on this as I'm considering applying because of IBS.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Suki2, I don't know of anyone who has been able to get SS disability because of IBS directly. Many people with severe IBS also have depression and they often get the disability for the depression. There needs to be a certain amount of documentation of the disability. With IBS there are no biomarkers and in many cases, no medications, that indicate our illness. On the other hand, with depression there are medications that people take and the inability to function can be documented. I read about one person who had applied for disability for IBS and was turned down in the courts. I don't know of any successes, but perhaps others on the BB can share their experiences.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
It's unfrtunate information on this isn't better organized on the bb as this question seems to come up quite often. According to a survey done by iffgd 10 to 20% of the peope surveyed were receiving disabiity. I personally applied for disability for ibs and depression as I have significant histories of both. I was turned down for depresion because I wasn't suicidal. I was turned down for IBS not because of the name or lack of awareness but because I can still function on a minimal level and work a few hours per week so wasn't seen as totaly disabled. The actual decision doesn't depend on the disaese but whether or not you can manage the Activities of daily living.tom

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I know you've had more experience with this than me, but from what I've read on the Social Security website and in the legal literature, disability tends to be granted to those who have "documented" impairment. This means you haven't been able to work for at least a year AND you are taking some kind of medication or treatment for that period of time which demonstrates that the doctor is treating you for the condition that has impaired your ability to function. IBS is just not seen as an impairment of major life functions by most people, unfortunately, even by doctors. That's why the fact that the FDA granted me an Emergency IND for Zelnorm was so important. Previously the Emergency IND had been used only for terminal cancer patients where no hope was left. The very idea that the FDA would take IBS seriously enough to grant this to me indicated a shift in mindset about the severity of IBS. Unfortunately, this awareness has not spread beyond the FDA to the Social Security Administration or to many doctors and certainly not to the mass media or general public.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
the point isn' worth arguing about as times are changing regarding IBS. It is now recognized by many as being potentially debilitating and the actual decision is based on individual circumstances and not diagnosis.tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.