Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is serotonin? this is somewhat related to the other question that was asked but I think may be even more complicated as the experts don't really know as far as I can tell. so maybe the question should be how do you find out good information about it? if you do a google search you'll get a million hits as it's connected to everything. if you go to a health food store or even a grocery store you'll see it advertized in most of the supplements and now a lot of food products make it a selling point and those HTP initials carry their own magic. If you ask a doctor he'll say one thing and if you ask a pharmacist he'll say another. I don't really want opinions or arguments and I've become increasingly suspicious of webpage information so maybe I'm looking for a book or a webpage from some source that's trustworthy, like webmd or mayo. I also know there is some info from iffgd or unc but this tends to focus on one specific aspect.tom

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
are we talking the supplement or serotonin in the body?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
just a note, there are a lot of people who don't understand basic digestion or the complexities of IBS and it is important to understand serotonin in IBS as a signaler to digestion and to the communication of the gut to the brain and back. There are learning curves in all this for sure.You could start with how its naturally produced in the body and what it is and what it does for functioning in the body and in digestion.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good point, eric. i think it's not as easy as just putting more in the body because that turns off the body's natural production? maybe I need to start with a basic human physiology book?tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.