Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About me; this is my first post, however I have been lurking these forums for a long time, I suffer from IBS C and have been diagnosed with SIBO which I have managed very well by following the FODMAP diet, but never experienced full remission.

Has anyone tried the diet 'a starch solution' by DR McDougall? I have been watching his interviews and looking at all of the research he has done and I am convinced.

Surprisingly I cant find ONE forum which talks about experiences following the starch solution diet and the effect it has on SIBO and or IBS.

He talks about the fact that animal proteins and fats change the gut bacteria in a way which means they feed off of high fodmap foods etc however if you remove that environment, then these foods can be consumed.

I'm not a vegan by any stretch, so don't think im just a nut-job vegan trying to convert everyone to a no meat lifestyle, but I think his views make a lot of sense.

Look up on youtube 'the starch solution' and also more specifically, 'sibo and the starch solution'.

im planning to start this diet soon, so will post any success I experience.

-Lewis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting thread, but anyway the starch solution didn't work for me, maybe I just didn't give it long enough (6 days) but my symptoms and bloating were becoming unbearable. you might want to look into the fast tract diet, it completely takes away my bloating and constipation but its quite restrictive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And, have you started an attempt in following the starch solution diet, lewis?

Reading your profile (IBS-C), I could imagine that it may help to the extent that the insoluble fiber will increase your stool volume and generally feed the bacteria in your large bowel which basically solves most problems.

But I have heard that it causes initial trouble for people who have been following a relatively low fiber and starch diet (what the low fodmap kind of is) and then introduced a lot of fiber. I am not familiar with this diet but I could imagine how it works. I have used a high fiber approach as a 2nd step in my healing process (after eradicating all bacteria, basically resetting my gut = step 1) with the idea to rebuild my gut flora which makes sure your digestive system works.

Would be interested to know how it worked out for you

Seb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts