Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!I am in the process of watching what I am eating and such to see what bothers me more than others and I was wondering about starches in general? I have read alot and some say yes it is ok and some say no it is not?? Does starch produce more gas?I know we all have our own triggers, I was just wondering what some of the common gas/abdominal pain triggers are?Thanks!!
Susan

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well it depends on the given individual.Some resistant starches will be eaten by bacteria in the colon to produce gas. On the other hand they count as soluble fiber which sometimes makes other people's IBS better (they may handle the gas better with the proper amount of fiber in the diet). Some things like rice varieties with a high glycemic index will be almost totally digested by you and there isn't much left over for the colonic bacteria. The reason your blood sugar goes up fast is you can digest those starches (so low in resistant starch) very quickly and the get in the blood as fast as pure glucose does. Starches with low glycemic index may be more likely to have more resistant starches as fiber and non-digestable starches slow down how fast the glucose gets into your blood.It is something worth playing around with, but whether they will be helpful or bothersome seems to be quite individual.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Glycemic index. How much blood sugar rises after you consume a food.If you google it there are several books and on-line lists that have the lists of which foods are high medium or low on the glycemic index.Usually high glycemic index starches are lower on the resistant starch.Some people do really well on very low starch diets (so mostly proteins and veggies and few starches) but others do well on things like Heather's diet which uses a lot of foods high in soluble fiber (resistant starch is part of that).It is hard to know who will respond to what diet in what way.Do you have excessive farting? Pain and bloating may or may not be related to how much gas you produce, so sometimes people try to reduce gas when gas production is not the problem.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.