Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody. well after 6 plus years I have found what helps and what hurts my "IBS". and starchy grains definitatly give me bad IBS attacks. Stress also does but alot of people will react poorly under stress. salads seem to help as does aloe vera juice. Is IBS a nervous condition of the second mind? Who knows? I tried adding honey to my diet and suffered bad IBS attacks and anixity attacks at the same time. Its difficult for me to put much faith in the medical community when it comes to IBS. its like the 5 blind men descibing an Elephant. For instance I just had back surgery and was told by the Anthesitologist that I looked remarkable calm and therefore was allowed into the operating room and allowed to ask questions and look around etc until the actual procedure. No pre-medication. So I got more anixty from honey than from back surgery. therefore it maybe be the secound brain in the gut thats nervous and it spills over to general concessness under extreme conditions of digestive stress. another example of the 5 blind men. my 18 month old son has chronic loose yellow stools and I was told he inhertited my IBS. Well I tried Probiotics on him and he seems to be fine. So far so good and I will introduce milk again soon. If this works that doctor will be fired. Doctors like to give answers, thats what they are payed for. IBS is an coveint answer. It puts the burden on the patient and takes the responsibilty off the doctors. I don't object to that as much as IBS used as a frivolus answer before rigourous testing is done. And as far as IBS is in the head, well I beleive it maybe in the secound brain of the intestine. therefore the digestion is compromised and only certain foods can be tolerated. This is just one of my many guesses for IBS and if I were to list them all this would be a very tediuos post. BTW my surgery was sucessful so far. Keeping fingers crossed. it was a microdiskectomy. L5 S1try a elimination diet. many of my friends go on a Atkins diet to lose weight and comment on how this helps with acid stomach, and general reduction of gas. They don't have IBS. Now at least I have people I can go out to lunch with. although I don't avoid simple sugars except to keep my weight under control. Around them I do though. Its no fun being on a diet for life and others are eating forbiden foods and telling you how much you are missing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi Blair-I'm in complete agreement with you with respect to conventional Drs. treating IBS. You're righ!! they get paid to give information. Telling the patient they have "IBS" is just another way of staying I have No idea why you have C-D-Bloating, pain, cramps..etc..A convenient "catch-`all-phrase" that puts it on the patients lap blaming stress & life style. I've found that certain grains mostly wheat, splelt, corn definitely cause me more digestive problems. In addition,when I have honey & sugar they always give me anxiety followed by extreme fatigue. One of the products my GI Dr. once recommended was drinking ensure. Boy..big mistake for me. Have you ever tried quinoa, teff, or amaranthe?? I've had pretty good success with quinoa.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I've read the introduction on the www many years ago. it is interesting. like the Elaine Gottschall diet but less restricive. What I find most interesting is how well my son has improved after the probiotic suppliments. They ( probiotics) have always tended to make me worse. But my son, who is 19 months, also couldn't seem to tolerate to much carbohydrate, like milk. He now seems fine. his stool which used to smell like bad cheese and have a funny green or yellow color is now smelling normal and brown. I have the diapiers to prove it
maybe after the holidays I will attempt the probiotics myself. maybe along with immodium?I expect to get sick but.. you never know. Some people do get better on probiotics and FOS. I remember the jerusalum Artichoke rave here on this BB. jerusalum Artichoke has a indigestable starch which presumably feed intestine bacteria.It helped at least one person. Now of course my problem could be , and probably is , too much bacteria in the intestines. there because of poor digestine of starch? Now if my balance or type of bacteria is "wrong" like with my son, then added some probiotics that will stick, might work. This is all guess work and will be because it would cost too much and might not even be done right or at all by current medical techniques. And if what I read here these days is correct IBS is not a digestine disorder but some highly complicated ( therefore probably wrong) disorder of the brain or second brain and serition and loud noises and child abuse and the kitcthen sink.. etc. well whatever works right?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi Blair,-I know probiotics can be very tricky...some people swear they help(myself included) and others either don't help or make things worst. This is what one microbiologisttold me about it..Number one, there are hundreds of different types of bacteria in colon, approx 2-3 lbs. worth. When everythings fine, the majority of this bacteria is beneficial, the acidolphilus/or bifidio strains. These bacteria produce lactic acid, the enviroment they prefer has a PH of approx. 6.5 just slightly acidic. When these beneficial bacteroa die-off from taking to many anti-biotics, or other ways. The new residents(bacteria/yeasts/parasites prefer a PH much higher over 7+ this is there comfort zone. In addition, he informed that this effects perilstalic action. It can either effect it being slow, which gives you c cases or speed it up & you have d everyday rain or shine. The idea is to do a switch replacing these pathogens with the beneficial bacteria. Here's the problem..when you take probiotics the oral route, its passing through the stomach..acidic ph of 1-2, and going into the intestine the last part ileum particularly has a ph of 7..Most of the beneficial bacteria..don't survive. But, lets assume some do survive, how are they greeted. The colon has a high ph, over 7, and loaded with pathogens, this makes it very difficult to get a foothold! In my opinion, this is what I believe is causing all the c, d , bloating, cramps symtoms..A.K.A. "IBS"

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I eat starchy grains all the time now. I was clueless back in 1998. however IBS attacks did give me terrible anxiety now that is werid. anxiety can give normal folks IBS you know "scared the S67t out of me." so is it possible a mis-functioning bowel can send the message the other way ? or maybe it was just " I don't know WTF is wrong with me and I'm scared" ? kind of body is out of control anxiety ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.