Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started exercising again today for the first time since I got that bronchitis 3 weeks ago. I have asthma, and I went to the doctor last week for it and he said to give it a few more days and then if I feel good again to go ahead, so I did. I joined a gym yesterday and went to an aerobics class today. Now, when I got th bronchitis 3 weeks ago, I had just started exercising for the first time in 2 years. I was walking on the treadmill upstairs at my mother's house, and I had been doing it maybe for a week or 2. I started again today, this time with an aerobics class, which is what I used to do in HS and college. I really enjoyed the class, but I felt extremely lightheaded and weird, almost dizzy and a little nauseous, immediately after class ended. Granted, I did take it kind of rough today...I did a step class, and although they tell us to take it at our own pace and many people take it low, no, I had to be the best one and follow everything exactly and make like I am the best...a big
Anyway, this made me nervous and I had some anxiety, but that quickly went away when I came home to see my niece was there. Is it normal to be lightheaded after working out when you first begin an exercise program? How long does it last (meaning after about how many times of exercising does it take for it to go away)? And what causes it? And is there any way to prevent it? I need to exercise to help my IBS-C and to stay healthy. This worked and helped me lose 31 pounds a couple of years back, and I have gained some of the weight back which I don't mind, I would be fine staying at my current weight, I just wanna be healthy and feel good.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Bonnie - on the Meeting Place, we are having "a challenge" (diet, workout thread). You could post there and get some ideas/answers.I joined a gym too last week
I am just coming off an injured back so I have to start very slowly. So far I've been doing alot of walking on the track, and a few of the machines. I'd like to start running again, but my doctor has put the kybosh on that for another week or so.As for the lightheadedness, where you hydrated sufficiently, had you eaten anything before hand? Could have been a drop in blood sugar? Maybe start slower, like a stretching/flexibility class or walking the track for a couple of miles. Build up your body and stamina, esp after having bronchitis.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Bonnie - on the Meeting Place, we are having "a challenge" (diet, workout thread). You could post there and get some ideas/answers.I joined a gym too last week
I am just coming off an injured back so I have to start very slowly. So far I've been doing alot of walking on the track, and a few of the machines. I'd like to start running again, but my doctor has put the kybosh on that for another week or so.As for the lightheadedness, where you hydrated sufficiently, had you eaten anything before hand? Could have been a drop in blood sugar? Maybe start slower, like a stretching/flexibility class or walking the track for a couple of miles. Build up your body and stamina, esp after having bronchitis.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Overdoing exercise can make you light-headed and nauseated.Not drinking enough water before hand, too long between when you ate and when you exercised, letting your heart rate go above target, or just doing too much when you aren't used to it/getting over being sick, not enough warm up/not enough cool down can all do this.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Overdoing exercise can make you light-headed and nauseated.Not drinking enough water before hand, too long between when you ate and when you exercised, letting your heart rate go above target, or just doing too much when you aren't used to it/getting over being sick, not enough warm up/not enough cool down can all do this.K.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, ok, I thought that at the time, the instructor did not cool us down enough. It was like, a lot of aerobic exercise, then it peaked in the middle, kept on staying at that level, came down a tad, but not where I felt like I was really cooling down, and a couple of stretches, then bye, end of class (5 minutes before class was supposed to end). Maybe she needed to use the bathroom or something, I don't know, but I thought it was not enough. I probably should have stretched more myself and cooled down afterwards. The warm-up seemed fine, and seemed to be the right pace. I drank plenty of water before, all throughout the day, and I had a light snack (cheese and crackers) about an hour and a half before class. I also stopped here and there and while marching in place, drank some water. I think I overdid it and that is why I was lightheaded. I am also very sore today, and when I go back Fri., I am gonna take it slower. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, ok, I thought that at the time, the instructor did not cool us down enough. It was like, a lot of aerobic exercise, then it peaked in the middle, kept on staying at that level, came down a tad, but not where I felt like I was really cooling down, and a couple of stretches, then bye, end of class (5 minutes before class was supposed to end). Maybe she needed to use the bathroom or something, I don't know, but I thought it was not enough. I probably should have stretched more myself and cooled down afterwards. The warm-up seemed fine, and seemed to be the right pace. I drank plenty of water before, all throughout the day, and I had a light snack (cheese and crackers) about an hour and a half before class. I also stopped here and there and while marching in place, drank some water. I think I overdid it and that is why I was lightheaded. I am also very sore today, and when I go back Fri., I am gonna take it slower. Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.