Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a new job soon and I am so nervous about it. My episodes of D usually come in the morning. I am trying the Caltrate but have only been taking it for a few days so i don't know how well I trust that yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for me if am having a D attack and it's time to leave for work? Should I just go ahead and take Immodium as soon as I wake up and maybe a Caltrate before I go to bed? I hope someone can help. Thanks!Dixie

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know how you feel. When I started my new job i was very nervous b/c i get my D in the morning. Regardless if i drink coffee or not! I used to have to commute from Manalapan, NJ (central nj) to hackensack, nj (north nj) A distance of 60 miles in the heart of rush hour! I solved this by bulking up on fiber and taking the shoprite or pathmark (off brand supermarket) imodium! If i drank lacate milk in the coffee with a sprinkle coffee tamer. It may seem alot but getting used to a ritual will return you to a normal life! I have since then moved closer to work when i got my raise, but it was tough some day! Good luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are two things I do to make the morning commute tolerable. First, know where you can 'stop-and go' if it is really necessary (believe me, I know probably all of the stopping places in the metro Orlando area) as just knowing where the next available toilet is takes care of the anxiety. Depending on the time that I'm on the road, several McDonalds and Burger Kings as well as 24-hour Albertsons and Home Depots are my 'just-in-case' choices. I'm on the road a lot and commute to different locations so I've had to mentally compile a list of many acceptable 'stopping places'. Second, I don't eat or drink anything but water until I am at or real close to my destination. If I eat before leaving home my system goes into action right in the middle of my commute and it's almost certain that I'll have to stop. Forget coffee or tea! They kick in unpredictably and usually without much warning--just what you need while sitting in slow-moving traffic. I've had to live most of my life around this disease (the last 26 years) and I can't wait until someone finds a cure. It probably won't happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Immodium is a great idea, especially for the first week or two when you will be really nervous. But you might not want to use it forever as in some people it can lead to C.How long does your morning D usually last? If you have to leave for work at 7, would it make sense to get up at 5, eat, and give your system a chance to do its thing? Not forever, of course, but maybe until you build up some confidence.What I used to do was eat a tiny breakfast when i first woke up, like a half bowl of oatmeal. Then I had an hour or two for that to settle before work, depending on when I got up. Then after getting to work, I would have a small snack like a banana or applesauce. Then I was usually okay the rest of the day as long as I was careful about what I ate.The Catrate may kick in. Mine took a couple of weeks to really show a big improvement. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.