Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that some of you are on Zelnorm but not many of you have said how it has made you feel.Do you feel better? Have more energy? Did it work well for you? Did it make you feel worse? Did anyone gain or lose weight? Did you incounter sleep problems (not able to sleep/too much sleep?)My doctor put me on Reglan and said to give it a few months if it did not or stopped working then he wanted to switch to Zelnorm. So tomorrow I go in and I am having him switch me. The reglan worked while I was on summer break from college but now we are 6 weeks into the quarter and I'm lucky if I go once a week.Also, could anyone tell me when it gets really bad for you do you have serious bloating problems (eat a cracker look 9 months pregnant.) When the pressure from bloating gets really bad do you feel like you have to urinate alot and don't feel relieved after you go? My doctor said this is common and that I might also experience incontinence when sneezing etcetera yet can't seem to find anything on that in literature. Still feel like the food you ate at 5 p.m. the night before is still in your stomach when you wake up? Also I know this is a long shot but I have a friend who works in a health food store and she said that some cases of IBS w/c are due to intestinal parasites but I don't think I believe her because wouldn't that have been one of the first test they do?Thanks and sorry it is so long I didn't start out for it to be.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
hi and welcome to the boardyes, i take zelnorm although unfortunately i've found it won't work for me if i take it every day (i guess i build up a tolerance to it real quickly) so i take it every two or three days and also go off it periodically for a week and with this regimen it usually works. what a lot of us have found with zelnorm is that you have to play around with the dosage so if it doesn't work for you at the prescribed dosage, don't give up right away--try variations. some people take it twice a day, some once a day, some twice with two 3 mg doses and some, with their doctor's approval, take 12 mg once a day. it's also real impt to take it on an empty stomach.I take 6mg in the am (only), about an hour or so before i eat anything.i've been taking it for over two years and have not found that it affects my energy levels or sleep or appetite or anything like that although of course we're all different and react differently to drugs.there's a lot of info in this board on zelnorm and some people have reported things like appetite increase etc.i have c and incomplete evacuation and oh yes, i bloat tremendously when i'm backed up--feel like i'm pregnant with a whale and have to wear really loose pants--hate it. and yes, i also have the problem with getting the urge to pee a lot when i'm backed up even though often not very much comes out. i'm thinking maybe my filled-up colon is pushing on my bladder and irritating it?and yes, i've heard the parasites theory too from health food store people although i never followed up on it but i would suppose it's worth a try..good luck with zelnorm. it's great when it works!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did you guys get the poop test done when you were first being diagnosed?I had to poop in a little thingy and scoop several samples up for the doc. The main thing those tests check for is parasites and common bacterias.Maybe I'm the only one lucky enough to do something like that.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
no i didn't have any test like that done but then i was diagnosed back in the early 70's so maybe those tests weren't around then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the information. The doctor started me on half a 6mg pill in the mornings and to increase it to twice a day if needed until I get a second set of tests done in the next couple of weeks. I have to have a Upper GI and small bowel observation on the 9th and another colonoscopy in 2 weeks.I have to addmit after reading some of the posts I was expecting to be in the bathroom most if the morning with diarrhea but that did not happen. Just alot of noise but I was able to go for the first time in a week. As a matter of fact I have gone 3 times today (yahooo!!) and the bloating seems alot less than it has been in weeks. Once again thanks!!!

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
that's great! so glad zelnorm is working for you! and that's good you're getting the tests done too. the more you know about what's going on the better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I tried Zelnorm twice before - once before it was even approved here in the US and another time after my son was born in 2002. Don't recall having much luck with it, but since it has been around a while and more is known I am going to try it again. I am seeing a new doctor in December that mentioned putting me back on it after I recovered from my hysterectomy in September. The only thing that concerns me is - I am not really D or C - I just deal with pain and bloat. Hope it keeps working for you!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I started zelnorm on 11/30. It has been 4 days now.My symptoms were: Incomplete evacuation(stools were always normal) / bloating (possibly due to incomplete evacuation)It has been continuing for past 2 years. It was manageable until September 2006 when I developed anal fissure. The fissure cured in Nov 2006(just when I was scheduled for surgery) but then bloating (possibly due to metamucil) and incomplete evacuation (I was passing stools in bits and pieces for over an hour) became a big problem. Also lost 20 lbs weight in 2 months. Colonoscopy showed no problems. Anal manometry showed probable anismus.Zelnorm experience: Diarrhea on the first day (afternoon) when I took it. For three subsequent doses I had slight cramps after taking zelnorm ( hour before meals) + meals. Now there is no side effect of zelnorm. Bowel movements are *real* good. I can feel the stool in the rectum in the morning and it is easy to pass. The only puzzling thing is that stool is lump (which indicates constipation) but softer than the constipated kind stool. See type 1 on bristol stool scale.I have also been asked to get biofeedback training to take care of anismus. I have not seen any posts of anismus (functional constipation) on these boards. Will be useful to share some information regarding this. I have not been diagnosed with IBS

G

·
I've just came back to this board after some years away because yesterday my Dr. put me on Zelnorm and I need more info than the pharmacist could offer. He did tell me that at first I might want to just take a half of a pill and I'm SO glad he said that. After just a half a pill I spent my evening staring at the bathroom walls long past my bedtime. Can't imagine what it might have been if I'd taken a whole (3mg) pill. It frightened me enough that I skipped this morning's pill - directions were to take twice a day, but I see a few comments here about having to "play" with the dosages, so I think I'll stay on half-a-pill for maybe this first week and see what happens. Tonite as I was prepping dinner I wondered about that glass of wine I sometimes have as I cook dinner. I found a couple old posts addressing the same concern, so I took a chance and poured a small glass.I've had IBS-C since it wasn't called that! In the 60's it was called Spastic Colon - lovely name that! Drs didn't have a clue-my first medication was a pill that was, as I recall, 1/2 valium and 1/2 stool softener.In the late 70's I had a wonderful dr. who introduced me to Donnatol and I'm never without it. But since I also developed diverticular disease, sometimes the Donnatol is worthless.I am here to learn more about Zelnorm!

·
Registered
22 Posts
i take 2 pills 6mg a day and i think it has stopped working. i need to figure out when my best time to take it is. i normally take it first thing and than eat lunch a few hours later. i may try taking it at night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.