Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
flux, or anyone,can you tell me if steatorrhea is related to ibs? i've had it on and off for the last year and am wondering if normal, healthy people get it. even ones with ibs. from what i understand, ibs is a functional disorder and shouldn't result in malabsorption. steatorrhea is a sign of malabsorption, right? i know that i have low iron, b vitamins, and magnesium-so i know something is going on. but i would like to know if my doctor should be brushing off this symptom.just so you know that it is steatorrhea, i'll tell you what my stools look like (i know this is gross, but bear with me...)my stools often float, even the formed ones. when i have d they really float. sometimes, when i have d, they will be really foamy and there will be a greasy sheen on the water that takes two or three flushes to go away. when i get like that, they smell....um....rancid is the only way i can explain it. so, there you have it. tell me what you know, please.carrie

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Only gas can make a stool float, not fat. However, that doesn't explain the "greasy sheen" that doesn't go away. You have to eat lots of fatty foods for four days or so, but otherwise the test for steatorreha easy enough to find out. You may have to demand your doctor give it to you, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had bouts of steatorhia or fatty stool. You should definitely ask your doctor to do a stool sample to analyze the fat content of your stool and also a Celiac Panel which requires a blood lab.Many celiac sprue or gluten intolerant sufferers are misdiagnosed with IBS for years before they find out they have celiac sprue or gluten intolerance - the symptoms are remarkably similar.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I can't tell if you have it, but it is worth being tested. Same goes for celiac. the basic tests for that are just blood tests.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.