Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most narcotics tend to be constipating (Imodium works on the same mechanism by the way).If you haven't gone after 3 days (not going for a day or two is still in the normal range) it may be worth trying a stool softener or some Milk of Magnesia until you can stop the pain medication. Glycerine suppositories will sometimes get things moving and are also fairly gentle.If the osmotic/stool softeners do not get things going after a day or so then you may want to try a stimulatory laxative like senna, or try an OTC enema to get things moving. Then if you think the problem will continue then go back to the osmotics/stool softeners.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most narcotics tend to be constipating (Imodium works on the same mechanism by the way).If you haven't gone after 3 days (not going for a day or two is still in the normal range) it may be worth trying a stool softener or some Milk of Magnesia until you can stop the pain medication. Glycerine suppositories will sometimes get things moving and are also fairly gentle.If the osmotic/stool softeners do not get things going after a day or so then you may want to try a stimulatory laxative like senna, or try an OTC enema to get things moving. Then if you think the problem will continue then go back to the osmotics/stool softeners.K.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have been taking other meds for awhile and my bm schedule was fine, once a day. then i started this painkiller and everything came to a grinding halt so to speak. I'm going to be on this drug for awhile. my doc told me it wasn't a narcotic so i wasn't worried about constipation.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have been taking other meds for awhile and my bm schedule was fine, once a day. then i started this painkiller and everything came to a grinding halt so to speak. I'm going to be on this drug for awhile. my doc told me it wasn't a narcotic so i wasn't worried about constipation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.