Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm still new here to the boards. I posted on April 2nd and got one response...very disappointing and not any help at all from a place that is supposed to be a "support group". I'll try this again now and see what happens. For over a month now I have been going through a miriad of tests, scans, scopes, x-rays, blood tests and ER trip. Have been suffering for quite sometime now with IBS I know but now it has gone from IBS/D to IBS/C. I'm in alot of discomfort and sometimes pain in my ab area and pain in my back like cramps or pulled muscles/when I did not pull them at all. I am very bloated in my gut area and feel sick to my stomach all the time. I went for an upper GI and flex sig a few weeks ago which said I have gastritus and acid reflux and to continue with my reflux med. I do not have the H.Pylori in my stomach. They found a polyp in my colon and did not take it out with the flex sig. and now I will go in this Tues. to have a colonoscopy done. I don't know why they didn't do that test first instead of the flex. sig. I'm not the dr. What exactly might they be looking for with the colonoscopy besides more polyps??? Can they for sure diagn. IBS with the scope? ANYHOW........I am on 4 different psychiatric medications right now. I've been on them for a long time. I have bipolar 1 disorder and take Lithium, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, and Lamictal everyday. I've been on these meds for a long time now. If I've been on them so long why would they possibly be causing me problems now? Have I read somewhere that anti-d can help IBS? If so, how come they aren't helping me and I'm on 2 different ones??? I also take Metformin for PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome). Can that cause what is happening to me? I've only been on that for less than a year. Most recently I was put on Aciphex. I don't take ibuprophen for headaches, just tylenol sometimes. A few months ago my regular dr. put me on Miralax. Not finding that to be very helpful. I feel terrible. I'm very tired and fatigued all the time. IBS does make a person feel that way too doesn't it? I am looking for answers and SUPPORT. Sure didn't feel very welcome here with the first post I put up that's for sure. Hoping to hear from someone.

· Registered
130 Posts
Hi Gremlin,Sorry you didn't have much luck with your first posting. This place really IS helpful...I'm kinda new here, but I do have some experience with some of your questions.Yes, IBS can be diagnosed by having a colonoscopy, at least mine was. My doc called it "spastic and redundant colon", then explained the spastic meant IBS. I asked how he could tell, and he said he encountered resistance each time he added air to the colon for the scope. I am on Acifex, which for me is to reduce the amount of acid produced in my stomach, as I have h.pylori and the 'regular' amount of stomach acid just kills me!I don't know why your doc would have done a sig. instead of a colonoscopy, I only had the colonscopy. After my colonoscopy and we started treatment on my h.pylori, (which I know you don't have), my gall bladder started giving me problems, and subsequently had to be removed, which gave me more IBS problems.My IBS is w/constipation, but it can also vary from D to C. Perhaps doing some searches on this site might help you find more information. I do lots of searches here, and find tons of helpful info.I've recently been on Miralax, which did absolutely nothing for me, but has helped out a lot of other people. My doc recently had me add flaxseed oil capsules, which only helped a tiny bit. I, on my own, added milled flaxseed (which can be found in the cereal aisle of the grocery store) to my oatmeal each morning. This has made a tremendous difference for me, as now I have a BM every morning. I'm also taking Magnesium daily, Vit. C daily, and I'm on Wellbutrin, Trazodone, and Acifex.Each person and their symptoms are different, and what works for one person might not work for another.It's a lot of trial and error, and discomfort, for sure. Please keep trying here, and I hope it goes better this time.Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.