Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling really upset right now. My good friend who has also suffered from IBS, took a turn for the worse a couple of weeks ago and got even more severe IBS symptoms. She went to the doctor and they did a Cat scan. She was diagnosed with stomach cancer today and it has showed up on her lungs as well. I'm scared because here symptoms are nearly identical to mine. She is a d type also. Does anyone know if we can demand cat scans by our insurance providers? I'm feeling so scared right now.

G

·
Hi,I have had the same fear. They did a lower coloscopy on me. I still fear.I know that when I do that, I can make myself sicker. If it is that frightening to you, please talk to your doctor about it.All the luck and God be with your friend.April

·
Registered
34,954 Posts
First let me say I'm sorry this happened to your friend I and I hope that everything will turn out OK.If you can convince a doctor that your symptoms warrant a cat scan, you may be able to get one. Also some doctors are more willing to do things to calm fears than others.Insurance will probably not cover it, nor will you likely to be able to get one scheduled without a doctor making the decision. Although you can appeal to the insurance company if the doctor won't do it. If you really need to know, pay for it yourself, if something shows up, generally you have a pretty good case of getting it covered (esp if a doctor ordered it) but not all such appeals are successful. Stomach cancer is relatively rare, IBS is very common. Chances are (although stastical chances mean nothing at the individual level) you don't have it. The vast majority of IBSers, even the ones with severe IBS, will not get stomach cancer.One thing you said was VERY telling, and is probably a good lesson for ALL of us. Her symptoms got much worse. I know that when every day is a new adventure in symptoms it can be hard to know what is an indiction of something that needs to be checked into, and what doesn't. Just because you have IBS doesn't preclude you from other things. OTOH IBS does NOT put you at a higher risk for other things. But DO NOT assume that everything that happens is JUST the IBS.You and your friend are in my prayers tonight.K.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I could be wrong on this but I thought my Dr. said that stomach cancer usually was spread from another part of the body.They thought I might have this a few years ago but thank God that was false.See the Dr. but try not to worry. Sorry about your friend.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hi Robby, I am sorry about your friend and can understand your fear. I lost my mom to stomach cancer and live with the fear day to day. I read somewhere that it's caused from not enough acid production but I'm no doctor. I agree that if you are that upset and the insurance won't pay, do it as a gift to yourself. Nothing better than a gift of health! You and your friend will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
34,954 Posts
Stomach cancer is one of the cancers that is less common now than it used to be.My understanding (such as it is) is that the main risks are eating pickled foods and nitate containing foods (I'll have to look, but nitrates are converted to carcinogens in the stomach and I can't remember if that occurs more in high acid conditions or low acid conditions). Since we refrigerate things rather than pickling them the cancer rate for stomach cancer has gone down. I thought there may be some link to H pylori (perhaps they were just investigating a link), but thats more of an ulcer, too much acid thing.K.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
H. Pylori has been linked with stomach cancer and MALT lymphoma. That's why most GIs now treat it whether it has caused an ulcer or not. Also, ulcers caused by H. Pylori have nothing to do with too much stomach acid. They are solely caused by the H. Pylori.Stacey

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
These are the stories I hate to read about on this BB
, but at the same time we need to hear about them. I'm so sorry for your friend.You've received some good comments here. It is natural for you to feel fearful now. However, stomach cancer is rare, and you shouldn't assume that you also have it. I don't know about scans for all of us. But I do believe that the scope should be used more often than it in fact is. (In fact, I will be asking for that, myself, in a couple of weeks.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts