Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiLast night I went to bed with stomach cramps... and had a terrible night sleep..and woke with them..not as bad, but still there.I have all the test - ct scan Endoscope, colonoscope, small bowel meal..etc, and my consultant has put me on Nortripyline 20mg and spasmonol and buspar..When I have nights like this I wonder if something else is wrong, and they have got it wrong.. its not IBS-C or GI dysfunction as my con called it. Why can I not except what they tell me?Fiona

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The idea that all IBSers or people with functional GI problems must always be 100% symptom free from the moment their head hits the pillow until well after they get up is wrong.The study that added "pain that wakes you up from sleep" (which isn't pain that keeps you from falling asleep) did not find IBSer never have this symptom.Something like 5% of normal healthy controls get pain in the night from time to time. Something like 60% of people with other GI conditions (including GERD) wake up from a sound sleep with pain.Somewhere in between are IBSers. It is a fairly common symptom, but it is not unique to "not IBS"/"not functional". It may be more common in other disorders and you have had all the tests that would cover any of those and they didn't find those so you are just one of the unluckier IBSers than may experience this from time to time.Pain around the time you wake up is very very common in IBSers as the colon is more active around waking up time and IBSers often have more symptoms when the colon is more active. The colon is also more active after meals so if you eat a bedtime snack you will increase pain at bedtime more than if you ate nothing for the three hours or so before bedtime.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kathleen.Thanks for your reply.I guess that it is "normal " to be woken up with pain as an IBSer. That is right is it?Fiona

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yes Fiona it can happen.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It happens in people who clearly have an IBS diagnosis, so it is "normal"It is more common in some other disorders, notably GERD (chronic heartburn) than it is in IBS.You have had all the tests for "other things" to explain it, so it seems to be part of your normal IBS.Some totally healthy people occasionally get abdominal pain at night as part of their normal healthy life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, wondered if the cramps are linked to ovulation. Mine are, exactly five days before my period starts i have about 24hrs of severe stomach cramps that wake me up and often sickness too. Then my stomach muscles are very tender for a few days. Dont get this any other time of the month and comes exactly to the day. Went on the pill and it stopped it - didn't have it for about 6 months but then this month it is back!! Hoping it is just a blip and that my hormones have been unbalanced for some reason. My GP says it is due to the hormone increase at the time of ovulation which triggers the IBS spasms so the pill should stop ovulation and prevent the hormone surge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts